Help 1957 Johnson 18hp Seahorse

mysticgman

Cadet
I am having trouble finding a seal kit for the lower unit. I have found one but it starts for the year 1958 and not 1957. Are these seals interchangeable?? Can anyone help me find the right seals and gaskets for the lower unit?? I am getting ready to change the impeller and would like to have the new seals and gaskets to put on instead of using the old ones that are still on it especially the gasket between the lower unit and exhaust housing. I don't want to start the impeller replacement without them unless I have to. I just know my luck and would rather be safe than sorry.;)[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Help 1957 Johnson 18hp Seahorse

Did you try your local OMC dealer or NAPA?

mysticgman

Cadet

I went to NAPA and they have some but only by part #. They don't have a way to cross reference the part # to the correct year and model of the motor.:(

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I'm guessing one of these places can help you:
vintageoutboard.com
tcoutboard.com
americanoutboard.com
sea-way.com
lainge outboard

mysticgman

Cadet

Thank you for the references! Vintage is where I found the kit for 1958 and am waiting for a response back for a kit for a 1957. I will try one of the other places you listed though.thanks once again.:)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Also try Engine Blade and Prop in Milwaukee, WI. I found my LU seat kit on Ebay...search for Johnson Seal Kit or something similar. A couple of guys there have a cross reference chart that shows what years certain kits fit. The job you have in mind requires a lot of patience...it can be a bear to get the driveshaft seal near the water pump out, and it's a real joy mating the lower unit back up the powerhead the first time you do it...make sure the water tube stays in its grommet/rubber fitting or you'll be doing the job again almost immediately after test running it. Also make sure you get the littlest O-ring installed in the groove near the top of of the driveshaft...it keeps water from getting to and corroding the top splines. A little grease on those splines helps, too. Have a trusty set of extra hands to help you when you are putting it back together, and plenty of your favorite cold beverages on hand.

mysticgman

Cadet

Hey Boatbouy, Thanks for the referrals!! Laings outboard had the LU seal kit I need. :D:D:D:D:
Hey tm, thanks for the support and warnings of the job at hand. Patience is what I have. It's the short time frame I have to do it in that worries me. It sounds like it could lead into a lengthy project.:eek::(

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've gotten to where i use laingsoutboards.com exclusively, for my older engine. Jeffs great to work with and extremely knowledgeable.