Problem with carpet snaps

ericspin

Cadet
I have a Chaparral Sunesta that came with snap-in carpet for the deck. Who the hell wants carpet in a boat anyway? Well, I have had the boat for a couple of years and before the first time in the water the carpet was removed and remains rolled up in my shed. Problem is the snaps that are left on the deck. My internal radar has dealt with them pretty well and I rarely step on one ..........until this last weekend when I sliced, yeah, sliced my heel open as I braced for a wake from a guy in a 52' Sea Ray. My foot slipped as I hit the wake and well, you can figure the rest. I am thinking I will remove the snaps and put a dot of 5200 in the screw hole. But there is the issue of the non-skid. How do I do this without making a first class mess. Anybody had experience with something like this?

Eric

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Problem with carpet snaps

i sound like a good idea, my ChrisCraft i did the same thing, only the snaps are not a problem. find out what cuts 5200 to clean it up. use the caulking tube, with a small hole.

rndn

Commander

Autobody filler might work well.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

The 5200 will work, and it will clean up nicely, but you will want to read the back of the tube for proper clean up instructions. You could get yourself into a big mess if you don't follow the suggested clean up process. I can't remember exactly how you clean up 5200, but I do know that the instructions on the tube work well.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Personally would use 4200. Use a caulking gun and apply enough so there is a slight "mound" on top - let it dry really good. Then with a single edge razor using a slight sawing motion remove the high spot. Or better yet use this : http://www.marinetex.com/

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Put some 2 inch wide masking tape on the floor over the hole. Then with a plastic body filler spreader squeegee the hole over with 5200 or Marine Tex.