Trim stuck in up position till bleeding out

DavidP

Cadet
Great day, boat in water, outdrive stayed in up position :mad:
Back home opened the out hose to release some oil (just a few oz.) and the drive comes down normally with the pump. When I bring it up till it physically stops the drive is stuck again. If I bring it up just 1 inch below that, it goes down without probs. Disconnected the trim cylinder to move the outdrive manually up and down and could not feel any resistance. Pump sound higher when it goes down then when it goes up.

What could be the problem?

Is there an easy way at the ramp to bring the drive up/down without bleeding? It's a 2003 3.0 Mercruiser with Alpha One outdrive

searay rob

Cadet
Re: Trim stuck in up position till bleeding out

I am having the same problem, Any help woul dbe great.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Almost sounds like you *might* have air in the system. I'm not a hydraulics expert by any means but had the same thing happen when I put a power T&T on my OB except it happened in the down position. There is a bleeding procedure you can go through (filling, going up and down a bunch of times, filling again, etc, etc) to remove the air, like bleeding brakes. I did that on mine and it was flawless. Sat for 2 years and now my T&T won't keep the motor down in reverse and need to do it again and am looking for the procedure here through the search but can't find it. I'd be willing to bet if the system is purged of any air then it'll work fine, especially if you aren't seeing any binding when doing it manually.

ksherb

Cadet

here is another possibility. On my TT pump, there is a "feature" that is supposed to keep you from ripping the outdrive off. If you bump the prop (stump, bottom, whatever), the o-rings in the housing of the pump separate. You do not get "down" pressure, but can tilt up as far as your heart desires. Take the housing off the bottom of the pump, there are three o-rings -- replace all 3 (I think you only need to replace 1, but I can never remember which one). Takes about 5 minutes, usually at the end of 5 hours of messing with everything else. Not sure that will fix it for you, but I always takea fistful of o-rings when I go river running, because it always happens.

DavidP

Cadet

thanks for the answers. I will first check for the oil pressure in the hoses, just need to get a tool for. Will let you know the result