Cuddy vs Bowrider ?'s and opinions

ZeroOX

Recruit
I am a newbi and this would be my first boat so if i am using the wrong terms please take it easy on me please.

I am looking for a boat and been trying to decide what I would like better a cuddy or a bowrider. i think both would have advantages and disadvantages.

so i figure i would ask the people who have them what they like about thier cuddy or bowrider and what they think the advantages are.

what i would use the boat for. just going on oun the lake for a day, pulling a tube or a skier and some fishing.

most the time would be 2-5 people on the boat.

i thought open bowrider open bow would be better for more people to sit. i then thought maybe the cabin would be nice to get out of the sun but it does take some room away to be outside.

also can you stan on top of the cabin or is this a big no no?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cuddy vs Bowrider ?'s and opinions

I have a cuddy but think you might be better off with a bow rider.

Some pros of the cuddy are:

1) If you camp with your boat you can throw all of your gear in there without it getting wet.
2) Safer if you take your boat in the ocean.

Some pros of the bowrider:

1) More seating area.
2) Easier to get off of the bow if the boat is beached bow toward the beach

You are not allowed(at least most states) to be forward of the windshield, even if you have bow rails, under way. If you are allowed, it really is not a safe thing to do.

ParallaxBill

Petty Officer 1st Class

A nice Bimini top can fix that sun problem on the bow rider.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A cuddy is nice to get out of the sun, use of the PP or change clothes. The cuddies storage is a real plus. However, you do loose a lot of floor space for people. Mine is a 26' and it's fine with 4/5 people but that's it. I can be out in almost any reasonable weather or sea. Our 26' Cuddy is just right for us (2) and great for cruising.
It's usually just me and the admiral or a fishing buddy. I have taken by son and DIL out tubing/skiing and we had pleny of room, but I wouldn't want any more aboard. (that's just me)
If privacy and weather is not a problem and you need the people room, bow riders or Deckboats seem the way to go. IMHO, launching/loading/docking is also easier with an open bow then a cuddy.
Yes, you can stand on the bow in a cuddy,(stucturally it's fine) but not while underway. It's unsave, although I see people doing it all the time.
Perhaps renting both types boats and evaluating your primary use will help you determine what to buy.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

My main problem with boats over the last 50 years has been access to the bow for whatever reason.

The bowrider with walk thru windshield (with a removable weather flap to keep the cold air out in winter) and a top (bimini or custom snap to the windshield type), is definitely the answer. BTDT

The only thing with a bowrider is that freeboard (distance from deck to water) is more important in rough water because you can take a wave over the bow. With a cuddy or closed bow it will just roll over the side. With a bowrider you have it in your face. That's no reason not to buy one; just something to be aware of and keep it in mind when you are using the boat. The more freeboard the better, even though boats without much freeboard are popular on protected water.........easier for the folks to get into and out of from the water.......but that's what swim platforms and ladders are for. Grin

One other thing. If you get caught out in a storm, the cuddy would feel mighty good; but a good top anchored to the windshield works just fine too.
BTDT

A problem I have with cuddy's (depends) you throw your gear up there and it's usually a mess and in the summer, in Texas, they're hot inside! Great in the winter, but most folks boat in warm weather. You can have the babes lounge up on deck if you want. The prettier the better. Grin But you have to be able to see around them to operate the boat. Another Grin.

Good luck.

Mark

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Partly a size thing. For boats under 21' the bowrider wins (cabin is too darned cramped). For boats 25' and over the cuddy (or mid-cabin cruiser) most often wins. It's in the zone in between those lengths that this can become a tough decision. Depends on whether you're overnighting on the boat and/or whether you have tots who need a crash pad. Bowrider is definitely a better "play boat" choice for the adults (and teens).

Kelly Cook

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

unless the cuddy cabin has a lot of ventilation, or when anchored, they cabin is a pressure cooker, on a sunny day. no one will want to be in there.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thinking about it, you might check state and CG requirements on riding passengers forward of the windshield while underway. I know bowriders have rails but not all cuddys have. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember rulings on that but don't remember......I think rails were the dividing line on whether or not is was/is allowed.

A CG ruling is universal obviously, state rulings can vary. In Texas, I never saw or heard of anyone being stopped for riding passengers in the front seats underway. We did it all the time and Tex Patrol was everywhere and safety checked us periodically. So if they had something to say about it we would have known it).

Sales here of bowriders in the 15-21 ft class probably are #1 and have been from the advent of the tri-hull back in the '70's. The Deep V bow rider replaced the tri-hull for soft ride but they're still bow riders.

Mark

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I've owned two bow riders and now own a big cuddy. I prefer the cuddy and would be saddened to lose the cabin. I use it all the time, even on day trips. My cabin is very well ventilated from the factory but I added two samll and quiet vent fans to draw air through the cabin, and two 12V oscillating fans to create a breeze when there's none to be found naturally. Thus far, it's been excellent, but I live in New England, not Fl or TX...

I think I'm in the minority though. Most folks would probably be happier with a bowrider and a bimini.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Mark,

My comment earlier was for cuddy cabin bow riding. Like you I have never seen any objection for riding in seats on a bowrider.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I've always wondered why Walkarounds have never gained in popularity with the in-land crowd.

The Walkaround gives you the storage and protection afforded by a cabin yet you still have full access to the bow of the boat. Around here most either have a walkaround or a center console.

rndn

Commander

Having owned a 21 foot cuddy and a 21 foot bowrider, the bowrider wins hands down. Tons more usable room, and the cuddy on a 21 foot is just not a user friendly cabin, cramped, short headroom. The only plus to the cuddy was the porta-pottie for the girls, but if you have restrooms at the boat launch, stick with the bowrider.

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have first hand experience in both these areas. we have a 2855 Bayliner...(big cuddy) and an 18 foot wellcraft bowrider. Out for seafair last year with the 2855 my daughter was riding on the bow as we were at idle speed (I wouldn't let her when we going any faster)...still not a good idea. The sheriiff decided to pull us over (out of the hundreds of other boats that were doing it). $100.00 fine. No more riding on the bow. In the Wellcraft, the kids love riding (in the seats) in the bow. Especially when we're going at a good clip.
The sheriff was right...it's not legal or safe to ride on the bow of a cuddy while under way.

tommays

Admiral

I need a cuddy because of a lot of rough water in my area

Front seats are nice in an open boat BUT are also require a lot of care from the captain when crossing wakes to not injure the crew :eek:

Talk to any boat insurance company a LOT of folks get hurt in front seats

Tommays

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Bowrider then make your own bow cap.......my next winter's project...;)

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

I would take a bow rider over a cuddy anyday if youre under 21 foot boat. I have a cover on the front of my bow rider and it keeps all the wind and water off when under way in rough water. Not sure what is rough to you.
I have a buddy who owns a cuddy 21 footer and its pretty cramped in there.
Rob

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Tommays raised a good point. The seating in the front of a bowrider is not safe under all circumstances. When operating under conditions that include big boat wakes you will need to have everybody back in the main cockpit. That said, there will be many times (quieter times) when it's Ok for folks to ride up there. Just don't expect to be able to put up them there every time.

Kelly

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Depends on where ya leave it to. My 20 Cuddy is the basic womans purse when left at the slip. Toss everything in and lock it up. Can't beat it for storage. And the rough water thing.
But a REAL witch to crawl up and over the walk through shield to get to the bow (Guys, I think he meant to walk on it...not ride on it..big diff, and yes..solid to walk on)
Just trailering for the day rides..get a Bowrider and a Bimini Top for sun

ZeroOX

Recruit

yeah i was just looking for it for a place to stand on to give one more person a place to fish from.

the only problem i do have is it does apear that it will be a pain to get up on top of the bow.

also the one i looked at had a big vent in the center that would limit the laying out factor for the wife.

also i as looking for 19 foot boats so that might make the cuddy no good.

Bigprairie1

Commander

I don't know many occasions when anyone would want to sleep on a boat under 20-ish feet. These are mostly lake/day fun boats in that size range (16-19'). The 22+ footers are getting more into cruisers so I can more of a need/use issue at that size. A toilet would be nice for the girls I suppose...but the beds?
I've got a bowrider and it definitely works for us. One issue with the cuddy that I haven't seen mentioned here yet is that the cramped dim environment in there can very quickly lead to sea sickness for a lot of people.
It all comes down to use within a size range. Try to rent one of each if you can...and try to arrange a sleep out or whatever, maybe that will help the decision.
Happy trails