Shift problems 69 Johnson 85HP Hydro electric

gregoryg

Recruit
Hi All
My engine is stuck in forward. I have read the excellent posts on this and checked the shifter which works fine. The voltage at the blue and green wires at the engine going to the seluniods(sp) only read 10 volts. Is this enough to activate the seluniods? I now hear a click from the engine when I try to shift it into reverse. All help would be appreciated.
cheers
gerry

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift problems 69 Johnson 85HP Hydro electric

Ten volts won't do it. The voltage must be 12 volts. Forward ger with no voltage applied is the default.

Boatnik70

Cadet
1970 Johnson Hydroelectric Switch Rebuild?

1970 Johnson Hydroelectric Switch Rebuild?

I'm brand new to IBoats (I've already read and digested a ton of great advice--THANKS!), so I thought I'd piggyback on this thread, since it seems like I'm having a similar problem.

I have a 1970 Johnson 85 hp, which seems to shift OK in the driveway, but acts a little "gravelly" most of the time on the water, especially in reverse. My solenoids read 5.5 and 8.5 Ohms for forward and reverse, respectively. I'm getting the following voltages from the switch:

Forward: Green = 0.8V, Blue = 0.8V
Neutral: Green = 12.2V, Blue = 2.9V
Reverse: Green = 12.2V, Blue = 12.2V

Will those small (non-zero) voltages cause any problems in Forward, or especially in Neutral? (Sometimes it feels a little "growly"/"gravelly" at low rpm's and then smooths out.) It never pops out of gear at speed or gives me the "hitting a stump" sensation I've read about when the clutch dog fails. I've flushed the lower unit with ATF and refilled with Type C. My prop is new and not "spun".

If the 2.9V on the Blue wire is a problem in Neutral, has anyone had success in taking the switch apart and cleaning the contacts? If I don't bother with this now (planning to take this boat out for our first "real" 4th of July vacation week in a couple of days), is there any problem just leaving it in Forward and starting it there? Once we push the boat off the trailer and away from the dock, I really have no need for Reverse, anyway.

Thanks!:)
Mike, Newton, Iowa

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 Johnson Hydroelectric Switch Rebuild?

Are those voltage readings taken with the blue and green wires connected or disconnected?

Boatnik70

Cadet

Are those voltage readings taken with the blue and green wires connected or disconnected?

Those were taken with wires disconnected. Thanks.