Getting The Wife Out Boating

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class
my wife hates water and anything to do with it? i bought a 335v ranger bass boat seats in bad condition my wife made me new seats foam and all she likes to sew. after spending days and hours working to get it done. not to mention money. her answer now is after putting all that work into that dam boat. your taking me for a ride.my plan worked. get her involved in the repairs so she feels as if it is also part her boat.1 stipualation. i cant park it now without it being covered. and for god sakes dont get it dirty.i spilled the worms she had a fit...said you will clean that up out of my boat when i get home ?? i think i created a monster. all in all its well worth the time we spend together now.try it youll like it.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Getting The Wife Out Boating

My wife's an awesome boater, in fact we bought our first boat together before we were married. She can even back a trailer. Only problem is she invites too many people. I have now given her an initial limit of 8, including the family (she wanted 8 without the family and there's 5 of us :eek: ). After the 8 she needs approval from me. The amazing thing is that she agreed . . . :confused:

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya gotta love em .o yes she cant go unless her friends can go.ive been there.maybe the smarter thing to do is to just purchase her a boat for herself.thats just my thinking. my wife is already spoiled. why stop now lol

TNT

Seaman Apprentice

Hello All, I'm new here. Tammy. Husbands name is Tim...hence TNT.

My husband went away on business, and well, I took the boat out. I've been addicted ever since. I go everywhere. He says it's MY boat now. I even make repairs....

Love it. I'm ruined, addicted...the water has got it's hold on me.

They way I personally did it...I got another male friend to meet me at the dock and as I went through each step....he let me know if I did something wrong. (because i watched my husband closely)

Once I did everything right....getting it in...the rest is history.

I truly appreciate the hard work that goes into the process now. I've even purchased sports bottles so drinks don't spill. organized everything.....

My husband and I are now happy....except for when he's home and tries to play captain. :p

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

isn't boating great, brings couples together!

My wife actually persuaded me to get our boat. I always wanted a Harley, and said I'd get it after the youngest graduated college when $$$ was available. But with a history of bad back troubles, she persuaded me to give that up and get a boat instead so we would both enjoy it. I married a smart woman!

Joe

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome Tammy. Great place to hang, and we don't get many women folk, so we'll probably be reasonably nice to ya :D Poke around a little, I think you'll like it here. Check out the non-Engine Boat stuff and you might even wander into Dockside Chat if you want to have a little fun . . Good job on the sports bottles. Can you let my wife know that even women worry about spills on their boats . . . That's one we can't get together on at this point. She let a half pitcher of Bloody Mary mix sit on the floor uncovered underway. I know enough not to say anything and of course it spilled. I didn't scream or yell or anything, just calmly cleaned it up . . . I have to say, I initially wanted to throw her and the pitcher overboard, but I restrained myself :eek:

TNT

Seaman Apprentice

Yes...boating is great.

When I finally persuaded my husband to move to Florida (I had lived there for 10 years prior)....A boat was a priority. You can't live in Florida and not boat. You just don't see it for all it's beauty.

I recently found a website that allows us to connect and raft-up with other boaters in my area. That has been a wonderful tool in having more boating fun.

There are also some boaters on there who have Harleys too!:)

Fleet Admiral....Does your wife help clean the boat? If she did....she would be more aprehensive about doing things like that. Everyone who comes on my boat is briefed....and given a task for the day. One makes sure everything is secure at any given time....the other is the Boat ***** (man or woman who gets drinks for everyone) The captain secures the boat at a destination and gives riders the opportunity to drive if deserved) First mate controls the radio and is responsible for constant high fiving when re realize how lucky we are to be out on the water.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

My wife never let's me drive our boat. I guess I am the boat *****... just kidding.

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

My wife was a skeptic about my love for boating when we first started dating. She opened up though.
I couldn't have married someone that wasn't at least open to it. It's just what I do in the summer. Not liking the boat, the lake, the lake scene - would be not liking a pretty good part of me.

She will now pull OUT the trailer, loaded or unloaded. No backing.
She's a great picker upper - always keeps the trashbag handy. Keeps all the shoes/shirts/hats/towels/snacks organized.

She's taken to wakeboarding - which I think is awesome.
And occasionally - if traffic isn't too bad - she'll even pull ME on the wakeboard, and does a decent job. When it comes to driving the boat - pulling wakeboard and kneeboards the right speed/line etc are the most difficult skills to get the hang of IMO.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Does your wife help clean the boat? If she did....she would be more aprehensive about doing things like that.
Well I am the anal one on the boat, she has that role at home. My desk is a mess, my office is a mess (well it was, she just cleaned it), my boat is immaculate . . . She sees the boat as her place to relax and be off duty. I am totally OK with that as I see it as my domain. She is a great partner in that she loves it, looks good on it :D and wants it to be a part of our life as much as I do . . .

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

glad to see all the replies. now i dont feel alone in this matter. good luck boating all.:)

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

she has accualy gone to far. are boat name is her name DAWN RENEE has a ring to it i told her .:(:(i wanted LICKETDSPLIT GUESS I WAS WRONG

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'd do something fun with Dawn like Blue Dawn, or Red Sky at D . . . nah ;) other ideas? Maybe we can help him sell it to Renee?

rogerwa

Commander

Introducing my wife to boating a was a long and calculated process. My first attempts were mistakes. The 14ft aluminum with the 40 y/o 5 hp motor walking over 3 ft waves was not her cup of tea. I was having a good time as I had been doing that since I was real young.

I took it a lot slower after that, the turning point was taking her and our kids and some friends out on a rental pontoon on the 4th of July. Being in the sun with friends while the kids played on the sandbar appealed to her greatly. Then one day we're driving along and she says "how much would it cost to get a pontoon?" I was taken by surprise and said ahh ahh as I took time to figure out a price that would be realistic and not scare her away.. Well the rest is history..

I am on my second pontoon, after also owning a Searay for 4 years. We have purchased a cabin where we spend the weekends hanging out at the sandbar.

I just bought the previously mentioned pontoon. It is a 25ft monster with a capacity of 17. It came with a 40hp, which I knew was on the small side. Again this weekend I was surprised when I told her the capacity of the boat is a 90hp and she said "well why don't you get one?" I said,"are you kidding?"

I still don't know if I have the green light or not..

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

i like the idea blue dawn ?? im open for suggestions .hmmmmmm maybe uss dawn ? help me here lol

TNT

Seaman Apprentice

Rogerwa.....GO FOR IT!

Do your due diligence...find a great price for the 90hp motor.....then present it again. She may not know the finances behind it. Sounds like you are more hesitant than her.

There is not one woman on the face of this earth who want's to watch everyone pass her by!

Tammy

Modified

Seaman Apprentice

Bleh, don't get me started on my fiance and my boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

My wife is generally the first one in the boat. She loves to fish and the last week long trip outfished me by a bunch. Managed to break a rod landing a big pike though. My kids are grown, married, and have kids and they all have boats and do it together. Great family fun and is something the kids will remember when they get to be geezers.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

My wife has never been a boating nut but with some careful picking of the lake conditions has grown to love it. Hoping to get her on the tube this vacation in a couple of weeks. So far so good !!!

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mine enjoys the water and fishing.She even drives our 27 footer off the trailer and she'll drive it back onto the trailer at the end of the day.