How do you check spark on a 1 cyl. outboard?

mobyjaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Lacking a third arm, I am having a hard time holding the tiller, starter rope and plug at the same time. Any suggestions on checking spark all by my lonesome? Thanks, MJ.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: How do you check spark on a 1 cyl. outboard?

I just go get my next door neighbor. He comes over, and I have him stick his finger in the spark plug boot and hold onto the cylinder with the other hand. If he yells real loud when I pull the rope, it's got spark. He's helped me out that way three times now. I don't know what I'm going to do when he figures it out. :D

I don't have a good answer for you. I've always had to get someone to watch for the spark or pull the rope.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Tape the plug to the head or block then pull gently in a dark place.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Go to your local auto parts store and get one of those little cheap spark testers.

mobyjaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just go get my next door neighbor. He comes over, and I have him stick his finger in the spark plug boot and hold onto the cylinder with the other hand. If he yells real loud when I pull the rope, it's got spark. He's helped me out that way three times now. I don't know what I'm going to do when he figures it out. :D

I don't have a good answer for you. I've always had to get someone to watch for the spark or pull the rope.
My neighbor is smarter than yours. He moved!

Last edited:

mobyjaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go to your local auto parts store and get one of those little cheap spark testers.
Those yahoos get confused when I ask where the restroom is. What do you mean by a spark tester? I'm a yahoo too. Thanks , MJ.

mobyjaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks saumon. That's just what the doctor ordered. I enjoy zapping friends and relatives as much as the next guy but no one seems to be around when I'm working on stuff anymore. Go figure. MJ

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I simply made one with a length of wire, and 2 clips. One large one that will go around the plug body, other to ground. Just let it hang where ya can see the plug (in boot of course)...give it a yank..

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I simply made one with a length of wire, and 2 clips. One large one that will go around the plug body, other to ground. Just let it hang where ya can see the plug (in boot of course)...give it a yank..
Best one yet and a big saving on the duct tape I use !!! LOL

mobyjaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very clever. Cheap too. Thanks for the tip. MJ