55 HP Evinrude Starter problem

mlantier

Cadet
Hopefully someone somewhere can resolve my issue. I have rebuilt a 1968 55 HP Evinrude triumph outboard engine. I finally had the engine back together and started her up, she ran great, then my starter went bad. The starter is labelled Prestolite MGD 4006 and has 12 teeth on it. I can not find any starters that match this body type and also have 12 teeth. Please help!:confused:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: 55 HP Evinrude Starter problem

That starter is obsolete but possibly can be rebuilt - have you tried taking it apart, blowing out the carbon dust & putting it back together? Don't use solvents or stiff brush on the armature.

what's it doing?

mlantier

Cadet

The starter is just dead, no current draw, but all the connections are ok. I have tried to take it apart and clean it, but still nothing when I hook it up to 12 volts. Any other suggestions are welcome.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take it to an auto starter/alternator shop. the will either fix it, or will get you something that will work.. i just had to replace the starter on my 58 35 hp.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i will check my garage.i had one of those motors and i remember taking off some parts ,maybe i still have the starter,if and i repeat if i do i will let you know,i know i aslo chucked out a lot of parts lately as nobody up here has any need for them.believe it or not i got cly heads for a 1964 65 horse merc up there some wheres.

cancan

Seaman Apprentice

I had the same problem so I replaced the flywheel with a 69 flywheel and got the nine tooth starter to go with it and solved all my problems once and for all. Good luck.

mlantier

Cadet

I considered changing the flywheel as well, but now we are talking over $300 and a good amount of work just to replace a $90 starter. Has anyone successfully changed the teeth on a starter?

cancan

Seaman Apprentice

I tried but had no luck. I picked up the 69 flywheel off an old salty with a grave yard full of old motors in his yard for $20 and the starter off another old motor in the yard for $15. So if you know any place like this take advantage of it or maybe try ebay.. Good Luck...

mlantier

Cadet

I am completely out of luck with finding a new starter (Prestolite MGD 4006). If anyone has any other ideas on where to find this rare 12 tooth starter please le me know.

I am going to try to rebuild the starter. I opened it up an it looks completely intact. I am going to retest all the connections, clean it up, and hope for the best. If anyone has any advice on rebuilding the old starter, please let me know.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take it to an alternator/ stater shop, before you are really SOL. ihave a '58 35hp that had a shot amarture, they were able to fit a different motor on my mount, and bendix.

Boud2nd

Recruit

Hopefully someone somewhere can resolve my issue. I have rebuilt a 1968 55 HP Evinrude triumph outboard engine. I finally had the engine back together and started her up, she ran great, then my starter went bad. The starter is labelled Prestolite MGD 4006 and has 12 teeth on it. I can not find any starters that match this body type and also have 12 teeth. Please help!:confused:

I used a Ford 1968 truck starter on my 1977 55 hp evinrude and it fit right up.

Boud2nd

Recruit

Can anyone tell me where I can find the Ignition kit for a 1977 55 hp evinrude. I need it to go from the Motor to the steering column.