1959 Glasspar Trident

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: 1959 Glasspar Trident

Sure, you can add one. I'm sure a nice custom one was available back when the boat was new. It won't be so easy now, probably, to find one.

Still, the pattern may still be around, so check with vendors.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

hate to disagree with Cat, but you will pay more for a custom top, probably than the boat, you can order a standard bimini, here at i boats, or many other sources, and dealers. it also can be mounted on a slide track so it folds neatly out of the way. here's may 1956 restore.

Attachments

• MVC-102S.JPG
    MVC-102S.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

sorry CAT, we were typing at the same time.

CATransplant

Admiral

No problemo. It just shows that we're both probably spending too much time on this forum and not enough on the water. :D

tashasdaddy

i spend my time waiting for parts. i'd be on the water but we don't have enough vehicles to go around. so i get stuck home with the scooter. they have PAYING JOBS.

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys! Silly question, but can you ride with the top up or will it end up being yanked off?

CATransplant

Admiral

Depends on the design, I think. I know the one on my dad's Avalon could be up while underway, but it attached to the top of the windshield like a convertible top.

I really don't know the answer on the ones they have here at iboats.

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, so I checked out the boat. The transom seemed to be very solid. All handles and botls looked very secure. I stood on the motor and there was absolutely no flex nor was there any when I tried to rock it up and down by hand. The same for the floor. I bounced around on it and didn't find any soft spots. The only thing, is that there is an inspection port that was put into the floor (to be able to see the sub and stringers) and when I opened it there was definitely moisture in there and I don't think that the boat has been in the water for a little while. Is this normal or should it be bone dry? This was also true when I pulled the drain plug and stuck my finger into the openning, there was some moisture.

As for the hull, it also seemed to be sound. I knocked around all over it and didn't come across any dull thuds. The lower hull has been recently painted on the bottom (water line and below), but I think that this was due to paint peeling as I saw pictures before that indicated that this was the case. The upper part of the hull also has been repainted, but this had been done quite a while ago, and it is now mildly flaking in spots. Normal wear and tear I guesss right?

Overall considering the age, to my newbie eyes it looked pretty sound.

tashasdaddy

moisture in a confined space is normal. it's probably just condensation, from the cool evening, to hot day. sounds, like you found a pretty good project. did he start the engine on muffs. as for a test run. on the top, properly installed sure you can run with it. on short none highway tows to the ramp, i even leave mine up.

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

Negative on starting the engine. It was getting late and we were running out of time. I seemed to be willing to drop it in the water so that I can take it for a test run...I'm thinking that's the best way to check it out. The motor is a 1973 65hp Evinrude Triumph and words of advice or caution on the motor?

dabone89

Recruit

Magicnov, I see that it's been since june 19th for the last post but... i just picked up a 59 glasspar trident and have been trying to do some research on them... all i know is that boat was only rated for 60hp... five extra isn't going to hurt anything... but i did sink a sea ray rated for 60 hp with a 90 hp outboard... ripped right through the transom. If you got the boat i was wondering if you could send me some pics, wondering if i got a good deal. the real reason i hopped on this one is because of the Mark 75 on the back. Thanks Much!

magicnov

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,

Haven't been on this site for a while and just happened to check in today and saw your message. I got the boat last July and we had a ball with it all summer. The funny thing is that we weren't even looking for a boat, but some how came across it and couldn't resist. The boat is in great shape and I really haven't done anything to it. Also, being my first boat, I'm kind of learning as I go. At some point, I'd like to refinish the hull because it's peeling in spots. Any words of wisdom from an experienced boat owner would be appreciated.

Attachments

• glasspar1.jpg
    glasspar1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
  • glasspar2.jpg
    glasspar2.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
  • glasspar3.jpg
    glasspar3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • glasspar4.jpg
    glasspar4.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 0

59Glasspar

Recruit

I have a 1959 Glasspar Trident with a 1967 Johnson 65hp. motor. The boat is in great condition.Has original glass windshield, original spotlight and horn and both still work. All dash gauges are in tact with original steering wheel. Seat have been replaced with swivel boat seats, not original. Solid transom,solid boat,motor starts every time and runs great on the water. Has been used here in Tennesse this summer.Great restoration project or fun boat to enjoy just the way it is.
Dale

godtool

Cadet

Really nice boat!! I have one too! Great boat, still has clothesline cable steering. Its powered by a 70 hp Mercury. It had a awesomw windshield until it broke due to a snowload and my laziness. Never new what I even had till I broke it. Now I'm looking for a new windshield or parts boat with a original windshield....

Attachments

• tridenboatfull.jpg
    tridenboatfull.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 0

godtool

Cadet

Found a boat for $500 but it was right across Canada... fuel would be too much moola....