SEAFOAM & Carbon Build-up

Lucrestyle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 120hp 1993 Rude, I just bought it a couple weeks ago off of a friend, the motor runs great but its had some life, 125psi in each cylinder.

I read the Carbon Build up article in the Freq Asked Questions and was thinking that running the SEAFOAM stuff might be good for my engine, to clean it out and freshin it up.

I have a couple questions about doing this.

#1- Can I run my boat till almost empty and then just add the seafoam to the tank, run it on the lake for the recommended time and then add fresh gas or do I have to hook up another tank and mix in gas/seafoam?

#2- will the seafoam in the liquid form (not spray) clean cylinders, pistons, rings ect or only exhaust chamber.

#3- is the spray in carb form neccacary?

#4- after doing this is there any special additive that i should add to the gas to prevent carbon build-up?

#5- if possible how can you tell if an engine has carbon buildup. I get a nice puff of blue smoke every time i start my 2 stroke up, i consider that a good thing.

Thanks for the help, i look forward to the answers.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: SEAFOAM & Carbon Build-up

this is what i do. i have an auxillary tank, borrow one. i mix 3/4 bottle of seafoam in with 1 gallon of gas. the 1/4 left i put in a spray bottle. i remove the air silencer from the carbs. start engine and let it warm up. kill engine, remove the plugs and spray into each cylinder, put plugs back in. let sit for 15 minutes, then restart, and spray seafoam into each carb until the engine almost stalls. it going to smoke as it's burning up the old carbon. repeat the carb spray until it quits smoking. burn up the rest of the gas in the tank. afterwards replace the spark plugs. when you fill the regular tank, add the recommend amount of liquid seafoam, as a fuel stabilizer. if you carbs are dirty it will not clean them. it will only keep clean carbs clean.

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

How much do you spray into each cylinder?

Lucrestyle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it says on the seafoam bottle that you can use it in the oil tank? is this reccommended to put a little bit in the oil tank to clean injector vro pump ect, or will the damage anything? and if it is good how much would you put in a full tank of oil?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I believe that they are referring to crankcase oil. It is best to add to the gasoline. Seafoam does not replace oil.

tashasdaddy

on a 2 cycle use in gas. if you use in oil, you are diluting the oil, and reducing the lubrication. i noticed your signature. there is a guy who is a donut short of a dozen, that hangs around my favorite ramp. and i launch and retrieve alone. he's allways there to offer help. and he gets a boat ride. thrills him to death.

moser42

Seaman

None of the dealers near me sell sea foam or deep creep. Im im sudbury ont
Would Maslack or any auto parts store sell it?
Has anything bad happen'd to an engine from running these products?

Thanks!

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

i noticed your signature. there is a guy who is a donut short of a dozen, that hangs around my favorite ramp. and i launch and retrieve alone. he's allways there to offer help. and he gets a boat ride. thrills him to death.

Tashasdaddy, that is the coolest thing I've read in a long time, everyone should get a boat ride once in a while :)

Lucrestyle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i am in timmins, i just went to the local car quest auto parts store, they have it and its not to expensive either! just goto napa or car quest and they will have it for sure, i bought a bottle of the reg sea foam and the deep creep. it was around $20 for both

alot of my friends say i'm a few bricks short of a load, i'm always at the boat launch with the g/f sometimes it can be hard getting the boat on the trailer, so i am always helping other people put there boats on, that way when i have difficulty, karma will come into play and someone will give me a hand!

bds85466

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't even realize it until I looked at a can of Sea Foam, but I reside in the home town of Sea Foam -- Hopkins, MN. They sell it here for pennys on the dollar. It flows more freely here than the waters in the lakes. Just kidding.

Is there any real tantamount replacement for the stuff that Moser from Sudbury could get his hands on?

Also, tashasdaddy, is the air silencer on the carb easy to remove? How much would you say to spray into each cylinder?

Lucrestyle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

for getting seafoam in sudbury just head to you local auto parts store, they will have it!

and for how much to spray in the carbs, from what i know about snowmobile engines, fogging useing treatment spray ect, normally you would spray till she dies, that is not my method, give it a good spray into the carbs until the motor chokes a bit, then you know that the spray has gone through the carbs and is being burned off, repeat if neccacary

tashasdaddy

i put about a 1/2 ounce in the cylinder and let it sit for 15 minutes. then restart, let it burn off. then spray into carb until the engine almost dies. let that burn off, and repeat.

seafoam will not hurt the engine, it cleans the curd out, like a good enema.

here's the data, its good for any engine gas or diesel.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Moser, go to Napa. That's where I went in Ottawa. CTC does not have it.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Down here in south Ga they have started selling Sea Foam in Wally World (WalMart). I figure if they are doing it here they are doing it everywhere.

strikeback03

Seaman Apprentice

Haven't seen it at the ones here in Rochester, NY. I got the Seafoam I used in my car at NAPA.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why not use Mercury's 'Power Tune'? It's the best product for decarb available and certainly the best thing Mercury ever made(or had made)....all the techs I know(and myself) swear by it, even if they are Yama or Bombardier guys...no tank,waiting,half assed results....avail. at any merc dealer and some boat stores....easy to follow directions

Pelicano

Cadet

DO NOT use seafoam unless you do know what you are doing. This thing will over clean EVERYTHIG out of your motor including the lubrication it needs to run safe. be prepare and tell your neighboors about the smoke you ll be putting out of your motor so they don't call the fire dept....but most of all make sure you get your motor well lubriacted after this ennema cause im telling ya if u dont you will be having some serious problems eventually. mY motor run awesomely after this traeatment for a solid 3 days. forget about it the sky was bluer the grass looked greener and my wifer was prettier after the sea foam. thing..take it easy after the decarb... do not run it WOT...you ll tell the difference the motor will run better and all but be carefull. I had a crankshaft issue my self it cost me a lot of money to repair. So please get well informed about doing this to a motor that prob. doesnt not need anything like sea foam.

Good luck.

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Why not use Mercury's 'Power Tune'? It's the best product for decarb available and certainly the best thing Mercury ever made(or had made)....all the techs I know(and myself) swear by it, even if they are Yama or Bombardier guys...no tank,waiting,half assed results....avail. at any merc dealer and some boat stores....easy to follow directions

No test tank and no waiting? We must have two different cans! Mine says that it must be used in a tank or on the water (step 2) and requires 15 minutes to work (step 5).

-E