Cleaning aluminum

Mano del Sol

Seaman
Is there an easy way to get this crap off of aluminum? Soap and water ain't doin' it?

bow.jpg

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Cleaning aluminum

Try some CLR and a stiff brush. If that doesn't get it on that casting, go for a wire brush in a drill.

What's that boat? It looks like a Starcraft or SeaKing (same maker), with that fake lapstraking on the sides and those rounded cross members.

Mano del Sol

Seaman

I hadn't thought about CLR, I have some here somewhere.

If I had to resort to elbow grease I thought of a scotch brite wheel, but I already have wire brushes. I was afraid that the wire brush would be too aggressive.

CATransplant

Admiral

I hadn't thought about CLR, I have some here somewhere.

If I had to resort to elbow grease I thought of a scotch brite wheel, but I already have wire brushes. I was afraid that the wire brush would be too aggressive.

I wouldn't worry about it. That bow brace is a fairly heavy casting. Just use a light touch on the brush and you should be OK.

Mano del Sol

Seaman

Well, It's not perfect but the CLR made it much, much better! Which is all I really wanted. Maybe this winter I will go nuts on it, it'll be in my garage anyway and it'll gimme something to do.

Thanks for the help.

bow2.jpg

CATransplant

Admiral

Bolt a nice new Anchormate anchor handling system up there, and it'll hide all those holes, plus give you an easy way to lower and raise your mushroom anchor.

It'll cost you $50, but it's worth it.

That does look a lot better, by the way!

Mano del Sol

Seaman

Bolt a nice new Anchormate anchor handling system up there, and it'll hide all those holes, plus give you an easy way to lower and raise your mushroom anchor.

It'll cost you $50, but it's worth it.

That does look a lot better, by the way!

That's what those holes are from! Too bad that, like the rest of the boat, the Anchormate was left to rot. The crank was locked up and the part that was on the bow was horribly rusted. I plan on getting a new one eventually. I still have the little extra guide pulleys.

CATransplant

Admiral

I love my anchormate. Before I installed it, I was always anchoring from the stern, which I don't like. Since I usually fish alone, it's inconvenient to go to the bow to drop anchor, so I just didn't anchor much.

Now, I just twist the little button and the anchor drops for me. I can reach the crank from the rear seat, so it's easy to drag it up and move to the next spot. Best $50 I've ever spent.

Heck, since it's brand new, it's the best looking thing on my junky old boat. :D