'84 johnson 115 mid throttle and shift linkage

jstme

Seaman Apprentice
seems to do fine at low rpm and seems to open up nice a wot although not as fast as I thought it would go, however there is almost no mid throttle? mabey a inch of movement in throttle takes me from a fast idle to almost wot. I also noticed last night that I had to put the throttle about 3/4 forward to engage gear.....even heard a bit of grinding for a second (like it was trying to get into gear) Motor is fairly new to me and I havent pulled off the lower unit so what would cause this? The motor is on a 1972 cobia 19' center console (very heavy boat) at wot its best speed is 26 mph per gps....does this sound right? Thanks in advance for the help. Richie

jstme

Seaman Apprentice
Re: '84 johnson 115 mid throttle and shift linkage

anybody got ANY ideas??? I am lost on this and dont wanna get stranded on the water when it wont go in gear.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ok, sounds like you have shifter cable problems, also may have water in the hull, or low compression. i've had 2 19 ft cobias, that vintage, with the 115's they ran 38-42. disconnect the shift cable at the engine and put it in gear manually. give it a try. it should go into gear as soons, as the handle is moved forward. you really need a manual and someone that knows about these things. i will help you as much as i can. you are my eyes and ears. also while cable is disconnect have some one move the shifter, the cable should move immediately,

jstme

Seaman Apprentice

ok took it out for a little spin tonight, seems as its not actually getting to wot the throttle pegs but motor is not revving up all the way.....assuming it needs adjusting also not engaging forward gear untill throttle lever is 1/2 way till it stops.....much father than it should be I assume. Hull isn't holding water nor is it waterlogged, I assume the throttle lever is just not letting it open all the way up to wot. So I guess my question now is how to adjust the cable to allow this? Will adjusting the 1 cable solve both the shifting issue as well as the not being able to open it all the way up?

jstme

Seaman Apprentice

any idea which cable to adjust? top? bottom?