Sears 3.5 horse model # 60940

chriskrebs

Cadet
I am looking to restore this motor, but have no information on year or manufacturer. Can anyone help, so I can find a manual for it.
Thanks,
Chris

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sears 3.5 horse model # 60940

need the rest of the model number. There should be a 3 digit prefix, a period, then the number you gave. The prefix is the identifier for the manufacturer.

chriskrebs

Cadet

Sorry, the only number on the metal tag is:
Model #
05819 B

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Your motor was probably built by Eska for Sears.My after market manual covers to 85 the 3.5 last appears in 81.It has an air cooled Tecumseh power head with a water cooled exhaust leg.Certified parts corp may be able to
help with parts and info.There are a number of aftermarket service manuals that cover many brands that should help you work on your motor.
You may find parts for the Tecumseh at a small engine shop.

jwh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi!
I have the same motor with the same model#60940. It is a 1970 made by clinton for sears. It took me forever to find info on this motor because there was so many manufacturers for sears. I am just getting ready to start on my motor also. There are quite a few parts on e-bay by one seller. He even shows a picture of the motor he is parting out.Go to 3.5 Sears Simpson parts and accessories. It's a 66 but is identical to mine. Have fun. John

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Hello John this is a really old post.My old after market service manuals show the last Sears Clinton as a 68.And the number is different 5986. It shows a 65 as a 60910,66 60920,
67 5950 By the way it shows the prefix is 582.I wonder if the 60940 is a Canadian
sample.Anyway these motor were basically unchanged through the years.
It uses 4oz of TCW3 rated oil per gallon.Or any good 2 stroke oil.
The leg is water cooled by a pump. Water should mist out the relief holes in the leg.

jwh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HI!
It does have on tag Sears Roebuck & Co. USA and also Sears Simpson Limited Canada. I found a site that said The models with no prefix # and Canada on tag was an Eska 1975-1979 ???????? Wish you could tell what kind of engine it was than I would know for sure. Thanks for all your searching. John

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI!
It does have on tag Sears Roebuck & Co. USA and also Sears Simpson Limited Canada. I found a site that said The models with no prefix # and Canada on tag was an Eska 1975-1979 ???????? Wish you could tell what kind of engine it was than I would know for sure. Thanks for all your searching. John

Look for a metal tag affixed under a screw or bolt head on the crankcase or cylinder. It will have the Tecumseh engine model designation on it plus what is probably a serial #. You can often use the Tecumseh model # to narrow your search radius by looking for it (ex.: 639-10A) in the Sears/Eska data tables at <http://home.earthlink.net/~brixent/>
He is also a dependable supplier of parts and information.

BUT----he gets his parts from the primary source and you can too.

<http://www.certifiedpartscorp.com/>

They own the remains and all rights to both Eska AND Tecumseh.