Night Fishing

CarlR

Cadet
So I'm getting a hankering to try some night fishing, possibly tomorrow after I get out of work at midnight.

I live in mid-michigan, and run my boat on a river.

What kind of fish could I expect to catch?

What kind of bait should I use?

Other than going real slow. and have my navigation lights on, is there anything else I should do while boating at night?

Any tips would be appreciated :)

-Carl

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant
Re: Night Fishing

I also live in mid Michigan, mostly the only nite fishing I do is for walleye as they usually have their best bite after dark. It can also be great for Smallmouths especially around shallow water structure.

CarlR

Cadet

I think I'm gonna launch the boat a little later (around 8:30pm), and stay out for a couple hours tonight.
I tried fishing this morning from around 7:30am to noon. Next time I'll try going out a little earlier, maybe 6-6:30am for a few hours.

The fish will be near shallow water at night, right?
How active will they be compared to daytime?
Fish around here to catch are some small mouth, large mouth, and rock bass, catfish, crappie, carp, bluegill, etc.

Should I change anything in the way I'd normally fish in the day, during night?

Thanks for any advice

P.S. Hey bruce I live inbetween Lansing and Grand Ledge :D I launch the boat at the Grand River Park, where the Michigan Princess ferry is docked.

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

you speak with forked tounge. there is only one fish to fish for at night. that is walleye. get in the coves at night where they will be feeding. get ya some 3 inch minnows and a lighted bobber. let the fun begin.ive fished walleye for 2o yrs now always have a freezer full. that is just one way. jigs/ worm harness trolling works real well.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I like top water lures after dark. (Rapalla 13G floater is my goto)
The Grand is OK, but try the small local no wake lakes.

rndn

Commander

Walleye is the ultimate go to fish for night fishing. Depending on where you are Bass also do some serious night feeding. Good luck

esoxlee

Cadet

If the river has heavy boat activity during the day, night action should be very good. I find that heavy traffic during the day forces fish to feed mainly after dark. The largest walleye, sm and lrg mouth bass that I have ever caught were at night. All were hooked casting along shallow weedlines adjacent to deeper water using surface lures. For the bass, it was the dying flutter prop bait. The walleye was caught using a jitter bug. Fire tiger and black are the colors that performed best. Additionally, casting parallel to the weedlines really created the most action. The closer to the weedline, the better.

bass buster

Seaman

Walleye is the ultimate go to fish for night fishing. Depending on where you are Bass also do some serious night feeding. Good luck

Yeah, the nite bite for walleye and bass is usually best in the summer.
Top water lures work well, like esoxlee says. Large, shallow, weedy bays adjacent to deeper water is where you wanna be. It gets my blood flowing when you can see the fish "boiling" the surface at nite while feeding. Great action with surface lures during these times!
Slow trolling or casting with rapalas or jitterbugs will get some good action
See my posted topic on top water bass fishing.

Have fun, but be careful when landing and unhooking fish at night.