Trim Tilt problems

bwj75

Cadet
Hi all

90 hp Mercury, 1991, the boat had been sitting for three years. Trim, Tilt motor would not work. Shop says the tilt motor is shot and the motor is no longer available so they would have to order a whole assembly to the tune of $1100.

Any ideas for a cheaper way to get on the water???

Thanks

Ben

chainsawjunky

Recruit
Re: Trim Tilt problems

Or it appears that they have them on iBoats for a little bit more than cabellas. The clamp on adapter plates are cheaper though if you need them. Evan

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You might take the unit to an electric motor shop (starter/alternator shop) and see if they can rebuild it.

kingfish62

Seaman Apprentice

there is an after market motor for your trim system. Many web based sales sites have it avaiable for varying prices. The pump motor alone is around $250 -$275 look here in iboats they have it avaiable. Also they sell an after market pump and motor for a little more than $400. The shop was quoting you on OE for youe engine and they are correct in that the motor alone is no longer available in the OE market. Good Luck

kingfish62

Seaman Apprentice

I wanted to add from yesterday that If you go to Master Tech Outboard Parts or Mercury Parts Express and look in the Tilt & Trim section you can provide your serial # and be directed to a parts listing. They do sell a Brush Card Assy. That can easily be installed in your pump motor. This is the best way to change the brushes which are most likely worn. If you motor turns but won't build pressure enough to lift or lower the engine this is most likely the cause. The brush card assy. is under $20.00. I put one on early this year and got my PTT running smooth. If your pump motor wont turn at all there are other options to trouble shoot. Let us know exactly what is going on with your unit. I completely rebuilt mine back in 1998 and as i said overhauled the brushes this year.