is this normal?

img00112ze6.jpg

img00113wk5.jpg

img00114kj7.jpg

it looks to be pretty new grease

please tell me its ok lol

and can someone please link me to the pdf manual for my outdrive its an 89 merc 3.0 w/ an alpha II(i believe)

sker crunch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: is this normal?

It looks to me like you put about 10 pumps too much grease in your swivel shaft grease fitting.

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I am going to have to take a gamble and say that is definitely NOT NORMAL, unless some one used an air greaser and put way too much..

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Have you tried tightening it down to torque specifications?? Did you just buy the boat??/I]

yes i just boughht the boat, im not very familiar w/ boats although i do own my own speed shop, i figured it was comparable to overfilling a balljoint w/ grease and it just oozes out of the boot which is ok, just wanted to make sure w/ u guys its ok on a boat

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I would try tightening it down to torque specifications first,or you might have a bad gasket,I just hope they weren't trying to cover up any grinding noise:(. Did they put the grease in or did you and have you put (muffs on to hear IT run,or ran her on the lake yet??? Big Newbie mistake,Don't EVER run the boat with out water:D

no they put the grease in it, i had it on the water all day sat, everything sounded kosher sat, also had muffs on it for a bit before i put it in, also sounded fine, wat kind of noise am i looking for?

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Hopefully you'll be OK , If you didn't hear anything that could be a good sign.I would still tighten it a little just bto be on the safe side.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It looks to me like you put about 10 pumps too much grease in your swivel shaft grease fitting.

I agree. Its probably one of those things that is better to have too much than too little.

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys....is there not a gasket there? I could be wronge just puttin it out there

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........ No Problem,....... Just alittle Over greased.....