flooring...ok to get wet?

sea star

Seaman
i have a boat with plywood flooring covered with indoor/outdoor carpet. is it ok to leave outside uncovered in the rain? i know it sounds stupid because it's a boat. will it dry up ok?

studlymandingo

Commander
Wet plywood is bad

Wet plywood is bad

is the plywood covered with fiberglass first?​

sea star

Seaman
Re: flooring...ok to get wet?

no, just treated plywood i think. we usually cover it but sometimes forget. i see alot of boats without covers all the time so i was wondering if it's ok to get soaked once in a while

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Carpet sucks up water like a sponge. Eventually the floor will rot. Keep it covered. Replacing a rotted floor/stringers is no picnic. Been there, done that.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sun cooks it, it cracks, then the carpet gets wet and stays wet for 3 days. repeat. equals new floor and stringers.

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had a boat that was 16 years old when I traded it for a new boat. It had carpet over treated plywood. I always kept it dry when it wasn't in use. The boat was used for fishing and some water sports as well. So water eventually came in the boat but it always dried out. I replaced the carpet in 2003 and the wood flooring looked good. There was no warping or delamination. Keep it dry, try to keep it from getting soaked and it will last a long time. I now own a boat with a fiberglass cockpit liner, I'll never go back to carpet again.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Most of those boats you see getting rained in will have rotten floors in a couple years.People don't realize that a boat is made to go in the water,not made for water going in the boat...

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most of those boats you see getting rained in will have rotten floors in a couple years.People don't realize that a boat is made to go in the water,not made for water going in the boat...

Yup, Keep water on the outside, keep her dry on the inside. If you get/have water saturated foam it will NOT dry out. Wood rot & mold are inevitable results.
I warned my neighbor about the damage water can do 3 years ago. He has yet to cover his $12k bass boat. I think a $10.00 tarp could save a $10K loss, But....
BTW, get rid of the carpet, it's a mold propagator.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

carpet in a boat, is like the silly thing the women insist putting in front of the toilet, ( you know the one you pee on in the middle of the night, then walk on getting out of the shower)

studlymandingo

Commander

carpet in a boat, is like the silly thing the women insist putting in front of the toilet, ( you know the one you pee on in the middle of the night, then walk on getting out of the shower)

Now I'm afraid to go in the bathroom!​

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Think of it this way: If you had a car, and it was a convertable, would you leave it out in the rain with the top down?

Most boats are designed to get wet on the outside only.

Leaving any boat outside without a cover is a good way to reduce its value ASAP.

Nova II 260

Thanks TD, wet foot paranoia just set in...
icon9.gif

SEA STAR: always practice "safe storage" for your boat. Protect it from potential diseases.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Now I’m really confused. If boats are not supposed to get wet on the inside then why did they put drains in the cockpit and supply me with a hose to rinse the decks? :D:D

Coors

Captain

I thought I was splashing water out of the shower onto the carpet; dang.

BillP

Captain

My 1996 pontoon boat has pressure a treated ply floor with marine carpet glued down...I bought it new and it's original. 75% of its life has been hanging in a boat lift under a semi dry roof. The other 25% has been on a trailer left out in the elements. Right now the carpet is getting thin from UV and the wood is like the day it came off the showroom floor. Overall I'd rather not have carpet but yes it will be ok over pt ply and the ply won't rot. Just be ready to peel the carpet off in a few yrs and replace it. Yes it will peel off pt ply without major problems, I've done it. Also, the ply isn't painted or sealed on the underside and gets totally wet everytime the boat is used...no problems there either.

bp

Attachments

• Pontoon Boat 019.jpg
    Pontoon Boat 019.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0

Nova II 260

One advantage pontoon floors have is air dry all around. V-bottoms do not have that. It's trapped water over a period of time that does the damage. Carpets trap water. There are plenty of toons with rotten floors because of the carpet.
I'm not a fan of carpet or foam.

BillP

Captain

One advantage pontoon floors have is air dry all around. V-bottoms do not have that. It's trapped water over a period of time that does the damage. Carpets trap water. There are plenty of toons with rotten floors because of the carpet.
I'm not a fan of carpet or foam.

Look close at the toons with rotten floors...they have non treated ply for decking. Pt wood doesn't care if it's wet or dry, rot and bugs don't happen either way. Not all toons come with pt or composite floors...or with plastic furniture bases.