Water in Gas

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice
I have water in my gas tank and have drained it 2 times now...completly. A guy told me that the boat wont pickup the last gallon of liqued and if it were water than it would just keep making it mix. So i put Seafoam for 20 gallons in the tank and a water fuel seperator and the idel seems ok but when i try to plane out it cuts out bad....then the carb has water in the bowl....I cant access the inside of the tank just a straight hose comin out of the top and my boat is no good if i cant fix this. Any hint or neat tricks i can try?
Its a 91 Bryant BBI180

flashback

Captain
Re: Water in Gas

Im not sure if seafoam will cause the water to blend with the gas, but alcohol will.. also if you have a gas gage, you should have a sending unit in the tank to feed the gauge. if you remove the sending unit you should have enough access to put a small tube in to the bottom of the tank and pump the majority of water out cause the water will be on the bottom. when you start getting pure gas then you should be good...

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

The accesss to the gas tank is under a black cap near the back bench seat. I just popped it off and only 1 hose to be seen.I just disconnected it but near the front the the motor there are three hoses (a large black for gas into the tank) (a small gray for gas to the motor from the tank and (a smaller gray for the vent at by the gas cap. I can not see were they connect to the tank....my access is blocked off. But yea i really want to see the inside lol what about air to check for leaks?

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

Ok i found a access panel on the floor half way between the motor compartment and the unser the back seat.....i just removed it but some rain started and i had to cover everthing and didn't get to see what was under it.

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

ok I got the access off for the return and fule guage float....i see the gas and it looks good...but when i am on the water it looks muddy....from the water mixing with the gas. What should i do now?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to pump that tank all the way dry.

The SeaFoam only has 10%-20% alcohol by volume so it isn't going to help you much.

Even after you pump the tank dry, I would still add a gas dryer that has more alcohol in it.

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

Very nice...i will try this as soon as i awake and post the results

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I would still change your fuel/water separator filter, maybe have a spare on hand too.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No real reason to drain a tank completely. Water will seperate and sink to the bottom of the tank. Just remove the fuel pickup tube assembly. Raise the bow of the boat so the back of the tank is lower than the front. Get a small electric fuel pump from an auto parts store and hook up a small hose with a small copper tube on the end and suck the water out the bottom of the tank.
Leave the gas and put it back together.
Also check the full fill cap oring. I find many with a bad oring or defective oring that leaks water into the fuel tank.

ruzztec

Seaman Apprentice

Ok i drained the entire tank lol. I then seperated the water from fuel...took all day and dried the tank...i reassembled and put 10 gallons in ok about to start..........what is this oring and where is it located? I looked at the gasket around the pickup deal i unscrewed and it was fine. Sorry for my lack of knowlege of correct terms.