replacing rectifier with regulator

joshdashnaw

Seaman
So I have been told to just replace my bad rectifier with a regulator out of a car. I wanted to get other peoples opinion on this. Can I chose any regulator out of any car. Is it potentially going to damage any other expensive electrical part. Will my tach work right if I do this?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: replacing rectifier with regulator

A car regulator will do you no good at all. They operate on DC current and your alternator puts out AC current. A Rectifier changes AC to DC. A Regulator regulates voltage.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I have often thought about replacing the rectifier on Force engines with the Motorola regulator/rectifier from Chrysler engines. This would give closer voltage control and possibly extend battery life. Naturally, it appears that the 20 pole alternator of the Force engines puts out a higher frequency a/c than the 12 pole of the Chrysler.
I have asked electricians about whether there would be consequences from putting a higher frequency a/c current into the Motorola unit. No one could give me an answer.

I think I'n also going to put this in the electronics forum. Maybe someone there will have an answer.

joshdashnaw

Seaman

Let me know will you. I have had other people on some of my threads about replacing the rectifier tell me not to buy the actual rectifier for my boat and save some money by doing some other things they stated. I would have to go back to remember exactly, but it sounds iffy. Electrical components work together, I wouldn't want mess anything else up.

Bonstrosity

Seaman Apprentice

I went to radio shack and got a rectifier after reading that it would be the same as a marine one. I forget the exact specifications but as long as it is with in the voltage specifications and the amperage it'll work. I got mine for 3 bucks as opposed to 40 for a "marine" rectifier. It depends on your motor also, mine is a 1986 85 horse and the 30 amp rectifier works perfect, it charges the engine and makes my tach work. Just make sure you hook it up right, if the polarity is switched you could fry it and have to get another one.

joshdashnaw

Seaman

I'll look in to that. I believe the one for my boat is 18 or 20 amp, but it lists from anywhere to as low as $90 to $150.

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

A 30 amp rectifier block shouldn't cost more than about $10.00, but you still need to fasten it to a heat sink unless it comes with one. Being that outboards are primarily aluminum, the power head pan or something similar under the cowl should do nicely for a heat sink. A plain old garden variety rectifier shouldn't have any problems with the higher frequencies coming off the stator. A car regulator typically varies the output voltage by controlling the field winding on the alternator, but outboards usually use the magnets in the flywheel for the field, so this won't work very well. If you know someone with a good knowledge of electronics, I have a regulator circuit that works very well that can be built for a very reasonable cost.