1956 Evinrude 3hp (3018) propeller not turning

zimmer62

Cadet
I've got a 1956 Evinrude 3hp model number 3018

First time out with it yesterday, I made it about 200 yards, and then the engine increased in speed very quickly but we stopped moving. I checked the prop and it was not spinning.

I took the prop off and checked the shear pin, and it was intact and fine. The clutch also looked fine.

What should I check next?

Thanks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1956 Evinrude 3hp (3018) propeller not turning

I would drop the lower unit and check the driveshaft splines for wear. They are a fairly fine spline and I have seen a few that were spun out, usually a result of the crankshaft rusting due to improper greasing of the splines when reassembling after replacing the waterpump impeller.

- Scott

zimmer62

Cadet

I'll check that tonight, if it turns out to be the problem is there a way to repair that without a new driveshaft?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Unfortunately, no. Usually the driveshaft goes as a result of the crankshaft splines rusting out, so a new driveshaft might fix it only temporarily until the old, worn splines of the crankshaft chew up the new splines on the driveshaft... Would take replacing the crankshaft and driveshaft...
- Scott

zimmer62

Cadet

So I dropped the lower unit to inspect the splines, and it appears that someone must have put some sort of epoxy in there. :mad: You couldn't see any splines at all on the drive shaft. I took a closer look, and the splines were there, but they were filled with something, trying to scrape out that junk it revealed they looked okay. Obviously the splines on the crankshaft were nearly gone completely which also had residue of this epoxy like substance. Seemed to hold up well enough for me to get 200 yards down the lake... Grrrr :mad:

Is this worth fixing, or do I go back to the guy who sold it to me and give him a lesson on what NOT to do?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I know the feeling...JB Weld is great for a lot of things, but holding a driveshaft into the crankshaft is not one of them.

The old 2-cylinder OMC 3hp models are very nice little motors. Lightweight, easy to work on and they run great when tune up. With modest changes over the years, that basic design lasted well into the 1990s for a nearly 50-year run. They're not hard to get into if you want to replace the crankshaft. I am pretty sure I have a couple in a box somewhere if you want to go that route. I the motor were mine, I wouldn't hesitate to do it... I have three of them as it is ('56 E, '60 J, '63 E)...
- Scott

zimmer62

Cadet

I just wonder how much I'll need to invest in this motor. What would another crankshaft, and "maybe" driveshaft cost? At that point, if I'm going to rebuild it, I might as well do everything (what else would I need? seals, bearings, etc?)

I might not be able to jump into this until I get my 90hp Force rebuilt, I think it would probably be a bad idea to have two motors apart on my workbench :D However maybe I'll dive into this one while the block for the other is getting machined.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There aren't any bearings to replace or seals to deal with - it's non-replaceable bronze babbit bearings throughout, which is why it needs the 24:1 oil mix. If the bronze bearings are worn beyond usability, the motor is likely junk, but when they wear out they usually go in grenade-like fashion. Being that your motor was running fine for those 200 yards, it should be a straight-forward take it apart, replace the crank and reassemble type deal. Wouldn't hurt to clean the ring grooves of carbon and scrape the rest of the exhaust cavity clean of carbon while you're in there, but there really isn't much else I would do. A light honing of the cylinder walls with a brake hone might help, too, but probably isn't necessary unless compression was really low or if there is some mild scoring.

I've done a few 3s over the years and could have a crankshaft replaced in an evening. Outboards don't get much simpler than these little guys...

As for cost, if the waterpump was recently new, and the coils have been replaced within the last 25 years, there probably isn't much else to replace as a matter of course. If the points are pitted, they can be replaced with change from a 10-spot. Even the impeller can be had for less than $15.00. Drop me a line and we can talk about the crank if you decide to go ahead with it... (csr112-n@prodigy.net)

- Scott

kevindopp

Recruit

I was just reading the 3 hp 3018 conversation. I have a 56 3hp 3018. I love the little motors. Anybody comes across one for cheap pick it up and stick with it they are a pleasure to work with.
I checked out those shared projects. An absolutly real nice rebiuld on those older boats. Very nice work. I have a 72 duo 15 ft fiber glass that I bought. The other owner replaced the transom. She doesn't leak,still runs nice. Its got a 50 hp sizzler. I have a 9.5 and a 3hp for spares or trolling. Thanks for sharing.

zimmer62

Cadet

What's a motor like this worth? My family doesn't really need this one anymore now that it's working....

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Not very much, even if running perfectly. Yours is a parts motor with a bad crank ... I wouldn't give more than $50, and only if it had a part or two I needed right now.

I've bought and sold a few antique motors, currently own two from the '30's and have not gotten more than a few hundred for any. My cousin just bought an immaculately restored 1940 Johnson and I think he paid $650 for that one (it looks better than brand new and runs that way too.)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I concur - $50 max, and only then if it has the lower cowlings.

zimmer62

Cadet

That's fair enough, I was just curious. I think I'll be trying to sell it with an aluminum boat this weekend. I just wanted to get a fair price for it.

It's a 12' aluminum flat bottom boat that I don't know much else about, and figured someone could get some use out of this, where my family won't use it this summer.

zimmer62

Cadet

This isn't my motor, but a quick search on craigslist reminded me of the approx condition of the cowlings etc..

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/1673652626.html

Is this person dreaming about getting that kind of price for it?

What kind of price should I be asking for it at a garage sale along with that boat?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

With the boat, it's all about condition. See what other, similar tinnies are going for in your area. If it's very old, I would guess a couple of hundred max. The motor is close to a give away.

The guy is dreaming in the CL ad ... of course, one can ask anything (and never get an offer).

MushCreek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you want to go to the bother, most vintage motors are worth more in parts. $10 here, $10 there; it all adds up. But you have to take it all apart, run the ads, and box and ship everything.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

This isn't my motor, but a quick search on craigslist reminded me of the approx condition of the cowlings etc..

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/1673652626.html

Is this person dreaming about getting that kind of price for it?

What kind of price should I be asking for it at a garage sale along with that boat?

It is has been serviced and is in great running condition, he may get close to what he's asking. Gotta remember, by the time you recondition the complete ignition system, rebuild the carb and possibly reseal the lower unit, with a new impeller, you're already talkin $200 just in parts. My want to see how far "just serviced" means. Dealors would ask even more for it.:cool: