Dual batteries on a 19'?

JasonB

Lieutenant
I have a 19' bowrider with a single battery. I'm thinking about adding a second. This is used on freshwater local Tennessee lakes and river. Is this overkill, waste of weight? I want to be able to listen to the radio for a while and have plenty juice to crank. Also sometimes use a trolling motor (carry a Group 27 deep cycle on deck from my fishing boat these days). The existing batt is a G27 dual purpose. The secondary would be a smaller crank only most likely, to save a few pounds.

How many folks with 19' or smaller bowriders have dual batts?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dual batteries on a 19'?

A second battery is always a good idea no matter what size boat. I would just go to Costco and buy a deep cycle there for your second battery. I use these to start a 7.4L and never have a problem.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I have 3 batteries in a 400# aluminum boat.

JasonB

Lieutenant

I guess my biggest concern is the extra ~60lbs. I often am sometimes close to my capacity weight wise.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Jason, If you plan to use the trolling motor, you will need the second batery. If not, a single battery is sufficient. Radios, stereos and bilge pumps etc do not use much juice. if you plan to burn lights overnight, you need a second battery.

If you are unsure, you could get a 27-series battery whis has 25-50% more power that the standard 24 series battery.

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 19' bowrider and have 2 batteries.

I use both when cruising and if Im anchored with the radio on I switch to only one.

I leave my boat docked at the marina with all batteries off. My question is should I leave at least one batterie on for the automatic pumps ?

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Maps...if the boat was wired correctly the auto bilge pump should wired directly to the battery so you can't accidently switch it off.....check it out maybe it is hardwired and not through the switch.

evilratgirl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

On my 18.5 bowrider I'm running 2 batteries with a combiner. The engine and tilt/trim are run off one battery, everything else is ran off the second. Personally I like the security of the isolated starting battery.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

engine battery, and house battery. i use 1150 CCA group 27 for both. one cranking, one deep cycle.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I thought this over and decided to just buy a high quality portable power pack with enough juice to start my boat if needed. I usually leave it in the car "just in case" but I bring it along if we're going to be hanging out listening to radio, etc. for a while. It has outlets on it and a jumper cable set-up.

I did this because it serves the "emergency" need on the boat, but also can jump start a car or power my sump pump at home during a power outage. It's a very versatile battery back-up.

Not that a 2nd boat battery is a bad idea, I just went this route instead. If I did overnights, etc. I'd definately have a 2nd battery, but I don't.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

MAPS -- your automatic bilge pumps should be wired directly to one of the batteries, not through the battery switch. It serves no purpose if the bilge pumps can't automatically turn on because power is not available. Your boat sinks!

Maps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MAPS -- your automatic bilge pumps should be wired directly to one of the batteries, not through the battery switch. It serves no purpose if the bilge pumps can't automatically turn on because power is not available. Your boat sinks!
My thoughts exactly ,
I noticed that they are different wire configurations on my batterries , but I can't seem to see where they lead to. Il'l risk calling my dealer for more info.
thx