Evinrude 3HP Lightwin. Worth having?

mobyjaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently ran into a Lightwin in nice shape. It has been in storage for a while but I'm told it was running prior to storage. Would this be a motor worth putting some effort into if I can pick it up cheap. Everything appears to be well maintained but even if it is shot out I could still sell parts off of it. If there is any kind of demand that is. Any input would be appreciated. MJ

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude 3HP Lightwin. Worth having?

Yes.Yes.Yes...buy it and get it running...pass it on to your kids.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Do not pass it up !!!

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Do not pass it up !!!
Unless it is completely seized up, or has a hole in the powerhead, don't part it out either. That lil ole motor will probably outlive you, and well on to your kids and possibly grandkids lifetime.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

totally agree, and easy to work on. read awakening a sleeping outboard in the engine faq forum.

BillP

Captain

I agree with all the above. These are great little motors and run forever. They are one of the longest produced omc engines out there and plenty of parts are available. The 3hp evolved to a 4hp later and had almost the exact powerhead. Early ones had a cork float in the carb that could crumble over time. Later versions had a plastic float. Coils are highly suspect on these too if original equipment. I've owned 3 of them (still have a 1951) and all needed new coils. Prices I see them advertised for is $200-$400 in nice shape.

bp

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I want one too ...

mobyjaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the positive input. Reliability is what I'm looking for. I also like the looks of it. Thanks again, MJ

lbentz

Seaman

Yep, I'm rebuilding a later 4hp for a guy. He's gonna love this little ****. Perfect shape and almost like new. It blew a rod, so I'm puting in a new crank and rod set for him. You'll love that little 3hp though.:D

Be sure to run a mix of 24:1 in it and it'll hold up for a long time.