Volvo AQ151C with 290 power trim outdrive

d_glover25

Seaman Apprentice
The outdrive is tilted all the way up to the rubber bumper on the transom and wont come down. The tilt switch runs the motor and the motor sounds like its running normal but the drive wont come down. Does this sound like a problem with the system that lets the drive up when you hit something. I have no idea where to start or what to do to get it down. Help please!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo AQ151C with 290 power trim outdrive

If you look next to the bellows, you will see the shaft of the tilt motor where it comes down againt the H fork of the drive. Run the motor to the drive down position and see if it moves away from the drive.
I have seen the pivot bushings so corroded up that they keep the drive from coming down. Gravity is the only thing that make the drive go down.

d_glover25

Seaman Apprentice

So should I force it down after spraying some lube or penetrating oil? What do you think will work on it? Does it need to come off and be cleaned?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If that is the problem, nothing you can spay on there will work. What happens is corrosion builds up between the bushing and the transom sheild and it squeezes the bushing down on the pin.
You need to remove the pins and pull the drive, remove the bushings (ALWAYS destroys them) and put in new bushings after cleaning the corrosion out of the fork.
Yes you can push the drive down.