Power Steering Gremlins

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Guys,

Been a while since i had a good problem to post here :)

I noticed this happening once on my last trip out and then today it happened a LOT, all at low RPM's

Simply put my steering locks up.. I will be turning the wheel as easy as pie with one finger and then BAM!, it's stopped dead as if it is already hard over. I have to turn in the opposite direction and give a good push to get it through. This never happens at high RPMS (at least I haven;t noticed it), only at head way speed and slightly above, which, of course, is when you usually do the most steering.

I thought it might be low fluid or a slipping PS belt but nope, all check out when I got back on the trailer. Any ideas on what could be causing this? It's not the cable (at least I don;t think it is) since it's happening in all different places in the steering range. It's more like after X degrees of turn it sticks, and you can start your turn from any place and it'll happen. It happens going left left or right.

I thought about air in the lines, but aren't these systems self-bleeding?

M

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Power Steering Gremlins

Ayuh,........

By your description,......

My 1st WAGuess would be the Helm itself.............

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

It's hard to "feel" where it is, but I just did some more diagnostic work..

i was just down at the shop playing with it. It does it with the engine off, so it's definitely mechanical (as opposed to hydrolic) It seems to do it around every 90 degrees. With the engine off I can push through it easier than with it running. If I go to the stern and try to move the drive by hand i can't move it past these hard spots..

Oh yeah, it has tilt. I pulled the boot to see how the knuckle joint looked and it seemed a little sloppy, but not at the points where it was binding..

M

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the cable out of the power steering cylinder. Get your brother to hold the cable and put pressure on the end the same as the drive would and see if the cable binds up. If it does. Get a new helm and cable assembly.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Ummm easier said than done!

Anyhow, I have one of those rotary setups. Am I to assume there is nothing special about it? I can replace with anything that fits?

BTW, you just love spending my money Don dont ya? ;)

M

Bondo

Staff member

Anyhow, I have one of those rotary setups. Am I to assume there is nothing special about it? I can replace with anything that fits?

Usually you replace a Rotary with a Rotary,+ a Rack with a Rack,.......
Because of Space limitations..........

Teleflex is about the Only Game in Town,...... They've bought up All the competition.......

Don S

Since I am spending your money, just install the SeaStar hydraulic steering system. ;)

Rotary System

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Sure Don, beer will be nnice and cold when you get here ;)

Todd says he wants to watch you crawl around for a bit, but he'll gladly hand you any tools you need.

M

Don S

Since I am now a FORMER marine mechanic (24 hours as of 5 pm) I will now be doing consultation work only.
This means I will sit in the most comfortable seat in the area, in the shade, with a cold one. I will also be the one doing the pointing, grumbeling and head shaking. I will also be asking for another beer, not tools.

Ahhhhhhhhhh retirement is wonderful.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Don, DON, DON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wake up.. You are having a bad dream!

Don S

Don, DON, DON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wake up.. You are having a bad dream!

Not dreaming this time........ It's real :D :D :D :D :D

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

OK, so I pulled the cover tongiht.. It's really too tight to SEE much in there without my mirror so I will go back tomtorrow and try. BUT the steering is now compeletly junk since I pulled the cover. With it off I can't move anything and it seems a pretty "junky" in there.

Still have to do Don's trick of pulling the cable out of the PS cyl..

M

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

UPDATE:

I removed the old cable and snaked the new one through. Not so bad in the end!

BUT, just before I started to hook up the new on to the arm I thought I'd make sure the drive was free.. it's NOT!! It's locking up periodically like the steering was!

The power assist ram is still connected. If you move the drive it'll catch and you can't push through it. If you let it sit for a minute you can then move it. it's locking all over the place, never the same spot twice. Is this something with the cyl? If so, my question is do I NEED to use the power assist? Can I disconnect the assist ram for now and just run manual steering? The arm on the SX shield seems pretty damn short

Need some advice here.

Don S

The power assist ram is still connected. If you move the drive it'll catch and you can't push through it. If you let it sit for a minute you can then move it. it's locking all over the place, never the same spot twice.

Sounds normal to me.
Pull the lines off the PS cylinder (Expect a very big mess in the next step) then see if you can push the drive back and forth. You will, but you will also be squirting PS fluid everywhere.
Put the new cable in, hook it up and try it. THEN, tell us how it works.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I think I'll put the cable in first and see how it works..

If it doesn't then I'll pull the pin and make a mess.. I was thinking back to my old 280 with no PS and I could move that drive easily.

Thanks, Boss
M

Don S

Your 280 did NOT have power steering. Trying to compare apples and oranges here I see.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

OR, I left the smart part of my brain at home ;-)

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer
UPDATE - Final (hopefully)

UPDATE - Final (hopefully)

New helm and cable are installed and hooked up. With the cable on the tiller she now moves complete stop to stop with no problem (engine off). I ran it through the entire range about a dozen times with no more locking. Hopefully that did it.

I'll try to water test this weekend..

Thanks for the input guys.

BTW, my new helm had the main cable entering from the bottom instead of the top like my old one was. I was worried my steering would be backwards because of it. Turns out they have done some different gearing to cause the cable revering to work. In other words the cable enters the bottom. You would thing turning the wheel CLOCKWISE would pull the cable in, but it's actually counter clockwise.

This is completely opposite of my old one, but when the dust has cleared it works the way it shoul;d - all that matters right?!

Bizarre

Mike