2002 df140

Boston Habba

Seaman
Considering replacing my dead Merc175 (may it rest in pieces) with 2002 Df140. Can anyone comment on this engine? Are there any particular things i should be looking at?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2002 df140

The DF140 is a great engine, Boston, but might fall a bit short of the performance you are used to.

For its 140HP, the DF140 is pretty small displacement and it needs to rev to 6,000 (+) to make all of it. Because it weighs only 410lb it is a great engine for smaller boats that are rated for that power. For heavier boats rated at 150+ it seems anemic at less than WOT.

My guess is that you would be much happier with a "big block" Suzi DF in 150 or 175. LOTS of torque there.

On the other hand, if you are offered a good deal on a DF140 and don't lust for thrust it is a smooth, quiet, user friendly, economical and dependable engine.

Boston Habba

Seaman

Hi JB,

Thanks for the info. yah my old 175 really pushed me along but I was rarely more than 1/2 throttle- too crowded and too rough in Boston harbor to really open it up. Don't run far and don't need alot of speed! Economical and dependable is what i need. My old 1986 175 Merc was neither.

Thanks

JRJ

Commander

Since you don't need the speed, you'll enjoy the DF140.

dparadise

Recruit

God forbid you need to get to suzuki directly to discuss a problem. No way are you going to be able to talk to a suzuki tech, person to person...their customer support is hideous, downright unprofessional...I live in Boston too... I tried to get suzuki to spend 5 minutes on the phone with me to confirm if an puncture hole in my oil tank was due to a dealer doing a bad impeller repair job ,see my other posting to the person whose df115 is leaking oil, or whether it could have been a design flaw...The dealer did call a Suzuki tech who would only say the hole in the oil tank had to be caused by a faulty engine repair job...They would not get on the phone with me to explain why they thought this or how Suzuki believes it came about. Suzuki said it wasnt their problem and wouldn't take my call. I was just trying to collect some data from Suzuki to go back to the dealer that did the work and explain what suzuki believed was the cause...Suzuki was of the opinion the engine isn't under warranty so we don't have to deal with you...So if you buy an engine you better make sure you have it serviced by a suzuki dealer and that that dealer is going to go to bat for you if things go bad...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

For the 2 years that I had a Suzi (DF70) dealer service and Suzuki Tech Support were flawless.

I think your trouble was that you were trying to get support against the dealer, DP, and they didn't want to be involved in that.