7.4L MPI No Power

rlenahbo

Recruit
Very frustrating, took the boat out for the first time over the weekend, and could not get on plane. The engine would not make over 3000 rpms. Idled for about 1/2 hour and then was barely able to plane. Boat hesitated for a while at speed, and then all seemed OK(?). I drove the boat for a couple hours with no probelms, and thinking I have bad gas and was trying to use it all (went from 3/4 to about 1/4 full). Anchored for a while, and same thing happened again, no power. Next day, again, no power but even worse. Well, I knew it wasn't going to fix itself. Any suggestions? We have to use gas with small % ethanol here in Northeast.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: 7.4L MPI No Power

Is this a trailer boat? Just want to eliminate the hull condition from the discussion . . .

rlenahbo

Recruit

Yes, I trailer the boat, so it's not water saturation or anything like that. BTW, it's a '98 7.4L MPI with Bravo I drive.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Start the basics, Test fuel preasure, spark, air. Has it had a tune up?

rlenahbo

Recruit

Never actually did a tune-up, other than every fall, pull the plugs, clean and gap. I did replace them last year and cap and rotor were replaced about 3 years ago. I think I'll try running the engine and pull wires one at a time to make sure I have spark, and then pull the fuel filter (also replaced last fall) empty and see if there is any H2O.