How do I adjust the Steering Wheel

jammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I noticed my Steering Wheel is off about 1/4 turn. Is there and easy adjustment for this? I have a Ranger 357V Boat with a Johnson VRO 150 on it.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do I adjust the Steering Wheel

I noticed my Steering Wheel is off about 1/4 turn. Is there and easy adjustment for this? I have a Ranger 357V Boat with a Johnson VRO 150 on it.

What type of steering system do you have? Rack or rotary?

jammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how do I tell the difference?

jammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the Rack. Thank you also for getting back to me so soon.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

One way is to simply unbolt the wheel from the hub, turn it and reattach, if so equipped with a wheel mounted to hub adapter.

jammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you I'll look for it under the dash.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

If there is an adapting hub on the shaft, it is outside tha dsah.
Pull any center cover off the steering wheel to see if there are any multiple bolts holding it to a hub.

jammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Perfect. My Ranger boats has a cover over the center of the steering wheel that is removable..it probably is there. The boat at the moment is at the dealership getting a rectifier put in. Also when I saw the current volt meter having the S connected and another green wire there...I asked them to just plug that in for me.

Everyone thank you so much for helping me.

burroak

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If there is an adapting hub on the shaft, it is outside tha dsah.
Pull any center cover off the steering wheel to see if there are any multiple bolts holding it to a hub.

Do not mess with the center cover and the bolts holding it onto the hub. Align your motor to be straight ahead. Lots of ways to do it; just get it as straight as you can. Get under the dash and look for the 4 bolts that attach the rack to the steering shaft. I think they will be in the 7/16 range. back them off to the point that the gear teeth on the steering shaft disengage from the teeth on the rack. Center your steering wheel (It will free wheel at that point). Have someone hold it in position or tie it off in the straight up position, re-tighten the bolts, making sure that the teeth engage. You're good to go.

jammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do not mess with the center cover and the bolts holding it onto the hub. Align your motor to be straight ahead. Lots of ways to do it; just get it as straight as you can. Get under the dash and look for the 4 bolts that attach the rack to the steering shaft. I think they will be in the 7/16 range. back them off to the point that the gear teeth on the steering shaft disengage from the teeth on the rack. Center your steering wheel (It will free wheel at that point). Have someone hold it in position or tie it off in the straight up position, re-tighten the bolts, making sure that the teeth engage. You're good to go.

Thanks will look for that when I get the boat back from the dealership.