How to repair front motor mounting to hull? Have pictures just need a little insight

ricksrster

Commander
Re: How to repair front motor mounting to hull? Have pictures just need a little ins

Important:NOTE: Although the engine mounts allow some adjustment, it is a good practice to ensure
that the front and rear mount locations in the vessel are parallel and in the same plane. This
may be checked by tying a string from the left front mount location to the right rear mount
location and another from right front to left rear. The strings should touch where they cross.
Engine1.jpg

Engine2.jpg

Engine3.jpg

Engine4.jpg

Engine5.jpg

compman723

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to repair front motor mounting to hull? Have pictures just need a little ins

I see how the mount should look kinda but does anyone have a picture of theres or something similiar. Do i mount the board that the motor mounts to to the stringers or how do i mount them and also does that get supported and glossed to the floor??? also is there a easy way to make sure the motor is at the correct hight??

Thanks

compman723

Seaman Apprentice

BUMP*

Please can I get some input I would greatly appreciate it. I am working hard to try and get this boat back in the water before our family vacation as a surprise for my parents....

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You mentioned jury-rigged..are you sure that wasn't how it was made, I'm not familiar with Barreta. Does the boat seem to run correctly as it's mounted now? Check the alignment as suggested then consider glassing it in
as long if it's connected to a stringer. Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the hull?

compman723

Seaman Apprentice

we took it out only once and the right side of the boat ran about a foot higher and the boat always wanted to turn to the left. Is this because the motor would be crooked? I was dumbfounded to tell you the truth. We just pulled the whole floor up and are replacing that but we are still wondering why it would pull to the left that much. I checked and didn't see any more drag on the one side and everything else seems to be balanced.

Anyone have any ideas why it would be like that and also what do places charge to align the motor at a shop?

Thanks

compman723

Seaman Apprentice

bump*

thanks for the help

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A foot higher on one side? Something is very wrong.

If you can't located the original manufacturer (which would really help) then take your time and find someone locally who is competent enough to give you a good assessment especially a good boat builder if possible. But first, take your boat out with someone and watch the engine mounts while underway in tight turns and slow turns..look for shifting and movement..it almost sounds like the whole motor/sterndrive is shifting on the mounts?

If you can't take it out..have someone try to move things by leaning on the sterndrive etc while your looking at the mounts..try to duplicate what is happening on the water torque-wise. I suspect that front mount is lifting
since it's not securred to a stringer then of course the alignment will most likely be out of whack.

At this stage, do not take passengers in this boat except for this check.

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Doing some rudimentary searching (which you can do) @ iboats and found a link to Barretta boats:

http://www.iboats.com/Baretta_Boats/bp/20br1032

Let this forum know what you find out..keep us updated.

compman723

Seaman Apprentice

That does seem the only logical answer that the motor is swaying one way and causing the boat to ride like that.

How do i know that when i rebuild the front motor mount that I get it in the right position as far as hight and width. Would I have to bring it in for this or could i get it close enough with me just eying it up or just going as far as making a slidable mount with wood screws and a screw gun for test and move it on the lake untill I get a perfect ride.

Thanks

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The rear mounts are set.. correct? The front mount should be adjustable somewhat so allow for this,mine uses rubber bushings on the front mount.. maybe using a double nut system with bushings then use the leveling/aligning process mentioned earlier in the thread.

I cannot see any reason whatsoever that you can't secure a mount that will be solid enough..whatever you do will be better then what's happening now.

My question is..what happened to the original mount and why..can you see where it was mounted to the hull or stringer??

compman723

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your help by the way.... The original mount I have no idea if you look at the pictures in my first post you will be able to see how it was... I am going to take it out tonight ans see if it is moving like you say... I believe you are correct though....

ricksrster

Commander

The beginning of the above instructions tell haw to line up the engind. You need an alignment tool.

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The beginning of the above instructions tell haw to line up the engind. You need an alignment tool.

Rick, this alignment tool..what exactly is it, just a tube?

I'm guessing once he builds the mount and get's it fairly close he can take it to a shop if it's nessesary for final alignment adjusting using a double nut on the front mount... the engine shaft with the sterndrive shaft alignment would be important for balance and maybe be able to do this even without a special tool?

He should also open some dialog with a good local shop machanic (not a salesman:) who installs/repairs sterndrives but also reference the local library and supplier for fiberglassing techiques..they can be very helpful even though it's fairly basic stuff.

What will be extra kool would be documenting this process with pictures for future references..that shopuld get him an extra rank advancment on iBoats :)

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer

cannot say this is the problem, but i read it here on iboats about a brand new boat leaning to one side the dealer said mount a battery on the other side to make it even...chapperall boat new,, the problem was the factory mounted the engine off 1" to one side major problem from the factory cure for the guy court and a new boat.., but talk to a few people
bob

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did compman abandon this thread..I'd like to see his results.