4 hp Evin-running hot

SeaGem

Cadet
I was given a 4 hp Evin, Ser 4902B-E02509, 1969 suitcase motor. Its in great shape and easy to work on with the folding leg. I replaced the impeller immediately, new plugs, and started it using a 40:1 mix as recommended on this board. It started up and ran good but I could see no water coming out or mist so I shut it down quickly. The head was very hot to the touch. I checked impeller again to make sure the key was in place, it was o.k. I blew air into the water tube in the leg but I can not determine where it comes out other than back down the leg. Where should I be seeing the water exit from this engine? And, is there any way to check and make sure it is circulating? Thanks, Jim

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4 hp Evin-running hot

Water should spray out of the exhaust relief holes in the midsection.

Do you have the pump submerged before starting the motor?
The head right around the spark plugs and the part of the exhaust cover plate are not water cooled and will get very hot to the touch.

SeaGem

Cadet

I had it submerged in a 5 gal bucket, which was cumbersome with the weedless configuration. Thanks for the info on the head, that was where I was touching that was very hot and it worried me. I'll reassemble the leg, get a much larger water container and try to see if water will come out the leg vent holes.
Thanks again, Jim

SeaGem

Cadet

I used a much larger tub, submerged the lower unit first, started it and the water spit cool and strong from the mid section holes. Thank you for your advice, it was what I needed.