johnson 55esl69a

hellbound

Cadet
same problem i hear over and over here starts only goes forward so i took off the lower unit and the wavy washer and the shift solenoid are pretty rusty i was wondering if anyone know where i could get replacements i think the solenoids cleaned up pretty good but the washer is completly eaten any advice would be helpful

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 55esl69a

Hey, if you have rust in there, save your money and energy. It would be extremely fortunate for you if you don't have serious rust trouble inside the case. It needs to come apart and repaired---if possible.

hellbound

Cadet

ballpark how much should something like that cost? or can i do it on my own also i look down inside and it doesn't appear to be rusty at the bottom matter of fact the top solenoid and the washer were way rustier than the bottom one i bought the whole boat dirt cheap so maybe i should just invest in a newer motor

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well, I suppose it would be worth taking a gamble and getting a new wave washer and put it back together and see if it works. After changing the oil that is.

Impossible to estimate rebuild cost without knowing whether the gears, bearings, and oil pump are shot.

There are special tools required to rebuild it. A bearing housing puller, A giant pair of snap ring pliers, a special socket to torque the pinion nut, puller adapters and installers for the oil pump, a set of long extensions for that giant snap ring tool..........And a service manual.

hellbound

Cadet

I Actually Have The Service Manual, I Have To Replace The Washer Either Way So I'd Rather Start There First Than Work My Way Down I Have All Summer To Work On It Don't Wanna Get Out On The Lake Till Late September Anyway. So Where Can I Find One Of Those Washers? Btw There Was A Little Water In The Oil But Not A Ton And The Oil Was Nasty Looking But Didn't Appear To Be Rusty....

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

The first thing you need to do is check the solenoids. The manual tells you the ohm readings. They can be difficult and expensive to find. The water in the oil means seals are bad -but- if it was fresh water you may be okay. This lower unit requires a special oil-omc premium blend. If you want to tear it down and fix it, its not too bad, I did mine. But salt water has ruined one of my solenoids. If you need parts, I have two complete lower units with good gears and bearings etc. just bad solenoids. I also have the giant snap ring pliers you need to take it apart. I have a new motor and am tired of messing with this one. Mine is a 1970 60 hp and I believe the lower units are the same.

hellbound

Cadet

I'm Seriously Considering Going That Route Myself Although I Think It Was Salt Water I'm Gonna Get An Ohmmeter And Test The Solenoids First But I Have No Idea Where To Find That Wavy Washer It Might Just Be A Temperary Fix Till I Can Find Something Newer

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

A dealer may have one, but if you really need it I can send you one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The wave washer is part number 314126. Johnson or Evinrude dealer item.

hellbound

Cadet

Oooops Sorry, Any Way I'm Gonna Call My Local Johnson Evinrude Dealer And See If I Can Get That Washer And See If All That Works I'll Keep You Posted