TV's, Subwoofers and Stereo Equipment.

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to add two 12" subs and tw tvs and an 8 speaker stereo to my 20' cuddy. I have an MCM 170. I just bought a battery isolator and was wondering if 2 extra batterys besides my starting battery would be enough for all the equipment i want? will this be too much for my stator to handle? THanks
Ken

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: TV's, Subwoofers and Stereo Equipment.

forgot to subscrib to this thread sorry.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Could be enough battery power for what you want to run but that depends on how long you intend to run it before you start the engine again. At least with the isolator wired correctly you won't be drawing from your starting battery. The alternator will charge them back up but maybe not fully charged, you may have to supplement it with a plug in charger once back to shore. You need to add up the amp hours you expect to use while anchored or drifting and then put in appropriate sized batteries.

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

could i just let the motor run? If so how many RPMs would i have to keep the motor at on my MCM 170 3.7L to provide enough juice to keep the stereo going? Lets just say my stereo is going to be around 1000 watts.

tommays

Admiral

If you still have the stator IT would be time to dump it for one of the kits that allow you to install a standard marine alt

e960968b.jpg

Run time comes down to battery math load VS battery capictiy

Tommays

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love those kits but they are a bit out of my price range. I got a quote for like 500.00

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I love those kits but they are a bit out of my price range. I got a quote for like 500.00

Huh? What do you think the marine rated subs alone will cost you? Not to mention multiple tvs and 8 marine speakers that can handle 100W apiece...and the marine rated amps to drive them...I think your in for some surprises if you haven't priced this stuff yet...the conversion would be the cheapest part of your proposal...

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i already have the subs and the amp. Im using a 19" computer monitor for the tv w/ a vga converter. so thats only like 150 bucks instead of 500 bucks for a 19" lcd tv. And the only thing marine i'll be using will be the 4 exterior 6.5's. The whole "marine grade" thing for speakers is a crock in my opinion the amps no and the cdplayers no, but the speakers yes because a subwoofer is designed to be sealed air tight when you build a box properly. So if the subs cone gets wet and drys in a decent amount of time i cant imagine it doing anything to it because the surround is glued to keep it air tight. so water wont pass either. Over time though if it got wet it probably would eat away at the surrounds glue because water is the "universal solvent" All my equipment including the cd/dvd player and the subs will be in the cabin anyways. But 500.00 for a piece of metal bracket a v belt and and alternator is deffinatly a rip off. i wish i could find the specs for those brackets and cut them on my buddys cnc machine for free and get myself an alternator for like 150.00. oh well.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

i wish i could find the specs for those brackets and cut them on my buddys cnc machine for free and get myself an alternator for like 150.00. oh well.

Hey, maybe you should buy a kit and do exactly that. Sounds like a business brewing!...

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

BTW, I have a pretty serious sound system in my boat. 12" sub, 4 6.5's, 2 300W amps (one bridged for the sub and the other driving the speakers). It's all JBL marine and performs flawlessly. I also built a sealed box, but most people build ported boxes and a lot of marine installations are free air. Anyway, good luck and I hope it sounds great...

Edit: You don't have to post again to subscribe to your own (or any) thread. At the top of the thread, you'll see a box called "Thread Tools". Click the arrow and select "Subscribe to this Thread" fom the dropdown menu.

Last edited:

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh nice thanks for that info on the subscribing. Yeah im putting 2 PA 12's w/ about 600 watts to em' and i am debating wether or not to do ported or sealed. i dont like the port noise in ported boxes but im getting used to it in my jeep. and sealed just doesnt have the frequency range i like. Its a tough decesion. probably go ported for some better SQ and i think it hits a little harder.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

I know my boat is a little different from yours (35' express) but we have 8 6x9's, 2 6 1/2's and 1 12" sub in the cockpit. The 6 1/2's run off the deck, the 6x9's run off 2 separate 4 ch amps and the sub has it's own bridged amp, the deck is also attached to a 10 disk cd changer. We can be out there all day listening to the tunes plus have other things turned on and it all runs off 2 group 27 deep cycle house batteries. Even if I killed them completely there is nothing that will stop me from firing up the engines and heading for.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

i dont like the port noise in ported boxes but im getting used to it in my jeep. and sealed just doesnt have the frequency range i like. Its a tough decesion. probably go ported for some better SQ and i think it hits a little harder.

Don't forget that ported boxes actually have less of a frequency range than a sealed box. A sealed box has the widest frequency response (provided you get the internal volume matched to the woofer), but at the expense of some volume when compared to a ported box. You'll have enough power to make the volume a non-issue, so you may want to rethink the box.

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry I didnt mean frequency range I was talking about the lower hz you get out of a ported box. I listen to a lot of "dance" music on my boat cause its mainly partying. I should probably go w/ sealed though because you know some drunk ***** will probably put a beer can in one of the ports. LOL.

FluffyChicken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know my boat is a little different from yours (35' express) but we have 8 6x9's, 2 6 1/2's and 1 12" sub in the cockpit. The 6 1/2's run off the deck, the 6x9's run off 2 separate 4 ch amps and the sub has it's own bridged amp, the deck is also attached to a 10 disk cd changer. We can be out there all day listening to the tunes plus have other things turned on and it all runs off 2 group 27 deep cycle house batteries. Even if I killed them completely there is nothing that will stop me from firing up the engines and heading for.

So your saying i can probably run a 800-1000 watt system at a decent volume for at least a few hours with two of those group 27's?

Perhaps i'll just charge them at home then when i get back and buy a battery switch so that way my stator is only really charging the starting battery most of the time unless i need it to charge the other two.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Should be fine with 2. I would take the diagram in the other post and modify it slightly, have 1 out put off the isolator go directly to your starting battery bypassing the switch and have your extra batteries off the switch. First of all with the switch there is always the danger that someone may turn it off when the engine is running and then you've toasted your charging system, this way one battery will always be attached and you switch on and off the other 2 whenever you desire.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry I didnt mean frequency range I was talking about the lower hz you get out of a ported box... I should probably go w/ sealed though because you know some drunk ***** will probably put a beer can in one of the ports

The frequency is measured in hz. Sealed boxes give you lower hz, but at the expense of some volume. Funny, but true, about the can in the port:D