150 mercury v6

eric1111

Cadet
1985 mercury 150 v6 blackmax. I bought it and the motor had a dead hole. I completely rebuilt the engine. I took it out and off the trailer, and ran it up to about 35mph. made a large circle and came back to the dock to pick up my buddy when we left out of the no wake zone, it would not go more than 5mph and 1600 to 1800rpms for about 5mins then it moved to about 1900rpm and like you flipped a switch took off and ran it about 50mph for about 30mins. stopped and fished a cove for a while started the motor back up and same thing 5 mph. if you give it to much throttle it will bogg and die 3/4 is all until it reaches 1900 rpm then you can run at what ever. took it home and rechecked timing, compression, spark, ect. this is oil inject. but i disable and premixing. check for anything loose and could not find anything. took it back out next week and same thing fine off the trailer the boggs down again. tried pumping the bulb while it is bogging with no results. It hit 1900rpm again ran 60mph. ran around a while set it down and tried to take off again no power. brought it home double checked everything seems ok.....gas take is venting..
does anything sound common or possiblely some were to lean to ser#11617211 thanks......

Laddies

Banned
Re: 150 mercury v6

Sounds like you might be losing a switch box or even one side of the stator with low voltage ck with a induction meter or even a timing ligth if either of these problems exsist you will lose all cyls on one bank. If you show high battery voltage when this is happening disconnect the 2 yellow wires from the rectifier, high voltage heats the stator and can cause it to break down

eric1111

Cadet
Re: 150 mercury v6

thanks this may give me somewhere to start I dropped it in the water and noticed that there is a bumping feeling (like a miss) about 1800 rpm..