towing suggestions

unixgeek13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: towing suggestions

Everything about your original post scares the hell out of me...

I do believe that you will have your Blazer full of water on a ramp somewhere when the boat pulls you in... please select a nice wide ramp so that you don't shut down the whole facility waiting for the wrecker to come haul you out.

There is just SO MUCH wrong with trying what you are talking about...

God love you... and I hope He really does... You will need it!

dbric36

Seaman

Sounds like you are just trying to talk yourself into it being ok. Well it might be for a while but eventually it will catch up with your truck. Just hope it doesn't involve anybody but yourself.

Cptkid570

Ensign

I've never understood how a boat can actually cause a car to be pulled into the water. As I said earlier, I used to tow a 24' boat with a Jeep Wrangler.. On slippery ramps, I did on occasion have the boat pull the jeep down the ramp, however, once the trailer got 1/2 way into the water, the boat starts to float, once the boat floats, it's no longer weight on the trailer... (of course it sounds crazy)... Now, I can understand if someone doesn't untie/unhook the boat from the trailer...but, how does a boat pull you down a ramp if it is in the water and floating??

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

I don't understand women either... and yet there they are!

Boats can and do pull trucks into the water all the time.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, a guy'll do what a guy'll do, I guess. If you go over to the Stupid Human Tricks section, you can find all sorts of photos of tow vehicles in the water after the boat takes 'em down.

Did you know that there can be big fines for pollution if your truck ends up in the drink?

You may get away with this a few times, but there will be that one time. The time you forgot to take the transom straps off because someone was talking to you while you were doing launch prep. There will be the time when the Park pawl in the transmission breaks and the parking brake doesn't hold (and it won't). There will be the time when you forgot to put the plug in and you have to pull the boat out heavy with water in the bilge.

When that time comes, and your Blazer is underwater, you'll remember this thread. When the tow truck driver is coming out of the water after hooking you up to drag you out, you'll remember. When there's a big bang coming from the driveline as you pop a u-joint or twist off a half-shaft on the rear of your Blazer, you'll remember.

But, a guy'll do what a guy'll do.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well you maynot understand, and when it happens you will have a front row seat, so pay attention.:D

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This guy's boat with trailer is probably 6500 lbs empty. The 4WD Blazer is rated to tow 5600 lbs. If it was 2WD it is rated for 5900 lbs. For a two mile trip going 30 MPH should be fine.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I've never understood how a boat can actually cause a car to be pulled into the water. As I said earlier, I used to tow a 24' boat with a Jeep Wrangler.. On slippery ramps, I did on occasion have the boat pull the jeep down the ramp, however, once the trailer got 1/2 way into the water, the boat starts to float, once the boat floats, it's no longer weight on the trailer... (of course it sounds crazy)... Now, I can understand if someone doesn't untie/unhook the boat from the trailer...but, how does a boat pull you down a ramp if it is in the water and floating??

momentum. once the wheels start sliding...or the parking brake starts slipping...good chance they won't "grab" again after the weight from the boat leaves the trailer.

coming around to load up one night, I noticed the reverse lights on my truck were lit up. Did I mention I was alone? Emergency brake held...thank goodness...you never saw somebody scramble over the bow & into the drivers seat so fast!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If this is a two-wheel drive Blazer there isn't much you can do to provide extra gearing but it should still have enough grunt to get the load up the ramp. If it's a four wheel drive, put it in low range and you can pull a house off its foundation. The key factor here is that vehicle is not rated to safely tow anywhere near that load.

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

Thats a little too much weight for the blazer. Especially if you have 4 people in it and a cooler and some overnight stuff. What most people forget is to ADD in the extra weight INSIDE the vehicle ( people food camping stuff) I have a S10 blazer and it town my 19 foot bayliner without any problems and its a 2wd and I have no problems off the ramp. most people pull in too far and get the tires wet then they hit the throttle thinking wheellspin will get them out. I can pull my boat out without any wheel spin even if the tires are wet.
i woudnt try that with a 26 foot boat. You have 4wd so that will definately help. Not saying you cant do it but youll need at the minimum
a BIG transmission cooler.
get the best brakes you can get
weight equalizing hitch
trailer brakes ( if its not already equipped but it should be for that size boat)
Be VERY careful how you tow give yourself plenty of stopping room
I personally woudl look for a used truck in a 3/4 ton that you can buy cheap and tow it with that and keep the blazer as your daily driver
Either that or borrow a buddys truck if you can
Depending on what options you have on your blazer these are the tow ratings from Trailerlife
If you have the BCFH options you can tow 5600 pounds
3.42:1 axle ratio
3.73:1 axle ratio
automatic transmission.
heavy-duty tow package
My 2wd blazer is rated at 5900 pounds. Would I try to tow that much? Not really.
Rob

http://www.trailerlife.com/towratings/tr00_chevrolet.cfm
Blazer/Jimmy 4WD 4300 V-6 4,600 (e,f)
Blazer/Jimmy 4WD 4300 V-6 5,600 (b/c,f,h)
Blazer/Jimmy 4WD 4300 V-6 4,000 (b,g)
Blazer/Jimmy 4WD 4300 V-6 4,500 (c,g)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

He is driving down the road TWO miles!!!

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

He is driving down the road TWO miles!!!

OOPS sorry I did not see that. I thought he was going on trips. Either way what happens if he decided to go on a long trip? What then? I didnt say he cant tow with the Blazer I jsut said he shoudl be careful. I didnt see the two miles driving distance. in that case if he is ONLY gonna go short distances and he has 4wd I dont see a problem with him getting out of the water
ROb

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

He is driving 2 miles down the road............it only takes 10 feet to have an accident! Hello guys, think safety. You tell someone is only 2 miles and you just gave someone some serious unsafe advice.

Cptkid570

Ensign

It's a 4x4. And as I said, my main concern is pulling it up the ramp. The blazer is a 2nd vehicle to me and I only use it while pulling my other, smaller boat. Basically, if it doesn't work, I'll sell the blazer and buy a 3/4 ton pickup. No biggie.

I was just more looking for some tips to make it work so that I don't have to sell it and get something else. Half of you have probably called my insurance company to file a claim!

Bruce - thank you for your understanding!

For the record, I don't take passengers with me even when I'm towing my 19 foot boat, I don't live all that far from the water and I like to get there early and get everything ready before my passengers arrive...

Cptkid570

Ensign

Where do you find info on the towing rating/capacity of vehicles?

Would a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V8 be much better than my 4x4 Blazer with a 4.3 liter? I'm guessing that the vehicles weigh about the same, so the towing ability of each would be close?

Also, if I have traction problems, couldn't I put a rear end in my blazer that has posi-traction? I doubt it would cost all that much for a used one if one would fit... at least not much more than having to buy another vehicle.

I really appreciate all of the feedback everyone...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It may already have limited-slip. You can do the safe way and look up the option codes...sticker usually is in the glove box and then look them up on the net....or do the unsafe way with a floorjack...ok..I am not going to say how.

Cptkid570

Ensign

hahaha - Bruce - I already tested to see if my 4x4 works by using the "floor jack method"... and I'm guessing that it does have the limited slip because both rear tires were turning.

I'll tell ya, I think this car was built for towing! I think I may have to get a 30 footer, stick it on my 26' boat's trailer, and then tow it through the mountains with my Blazer! hahaha

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

"I'm also thinking that I could get a spare rim for the Blazer and put a big knobby tire on it to help give better traction at the ramp...and just use this rim/tire for days that I take the boat out.

It would be better if you put two "big knobby tire" on the rear axle versus only one.
But don't go too wide as you want psi on the ramp and wide tires will reduce your psi on the ramp.
Forget the limited slip which after 10 years is most likely worn out.
Replace it with a Detroit Locker, that way when in 4x4 mode you at least have 3-wheel drive.
Then get yourself some 18" wide x 8 feet long strips of expanded (but not flattened) metal. And be ready to place them down on the ramp in front of the rear tires. Put tranny and T-case in low-low and walk out.

evilratgirl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kid, the blazer does a pretty good job towing fairly flat terrain. Hills will really bum the 4.3 out. Without the transmission cooler, the transmission goes fairly quickly.

As has been pointed out, too big a boat for the blazer to truly and safely go over the road. The 4.3 in 4 low will pull stumps. A good gental slope ramp it would most likely do it. Not the right tool for the job, but it would do it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

hahaha - Bruce - I already tested to see if my 4x4 works by using the "floor jack method"... and I'm guessing that it does have the limited slip because both rear tires were turning.

That's not how you do it.