How tight should belt be?

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 80 omc 140hp and I was wondering how tight the engine pulley belt should be. Also If I wanted to replace it would I have to remove the front of engine from the front mount?

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How tight should belt be?

I believe 1/4 to 1/2 inch, I think most folks leave a spare around the mount when replacing the first so your all set to go next time without messing with the mount again. New belts strech a little so the manual calls for rechecking at 10 and 50 hours.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

I prefer to think it shoud be how loose can it be and not squeal.Too tight will take out the alt. bearing, or circ. pump seal/bearing.Are the belts worn and slipping? Are the belts too narrow? Is the pully rusty and eating the belts?

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a extra belt that is tie wrapped up to the mount. I bet it was like you said. Ready to go on other side of mount. Never really looked that hard. Well that would be nice if that is the case. It has not gone south but I figure I would ask the question before I needed to ask and was out on the water.

skibug

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The belt should always be just tight enough to eliminate belt squeal and slip. If you tighten it further, this puts added pressure on bearings and will cause added, expensive damage that is a lot more expensive than another belt.