Abnormal Trailer Tire wear....

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have an EZ Loader tandem trailer. The inner tread is taking a beating on all the tires. These tires are not that old. Outside tread in great shape. I checked the inflation and its fine. Is this normal? The weight of the boat is creating negative camber. Anyway to adjust this?

Camber_angle.jpg

searay225.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Abnormal Trailer Tire wear....

What's the GVWR of that trailer? Looks possibly a little light for your boat . . .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that's my thinking, or the torsion suspension is weak.

Manipulator

Good question, I'll take a look. Dry weight of the boat says 3800lbs in the manual but does not mention if this is with a motor or not (I would imagine it is). The guy I bought the boat from said he purchased the trailer new from EZ Loader so I imagine they would have matched it to the boat. Again, Ill look into the weight issue. thanks.

JB

I think you have bent or sagging axles. The only way I know to correct it is to straighten or replace the axles.

Or maybe that trailer doesn't have axles, in which case you have a twisted frame.

Your tires should be vertical, with less than 1* toe in.

Either could be from overloading the trailer and/or high speed over wavy pavement.

tashasdaddy

does the trailer have springs,and complete axles, or just the torsion partial axle.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

It's a dual axle trailer. They scrub the insides of the tires hard on turns, the tighter the turn the worse the wear. Watch them sometime, particularly when backing up, it'll amaze you how hard those tires roll. I believe you'll find the wear normal.
--
Stan

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Are you able to measure the negative camber and is it really on all 4 wheels?

Are the two axles parallel with each other?

I would think tire scrub would cause even wear across the tire unless all you do is turn one direction. Its going to rub one side of the tire in one direction and the other side in the other.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

My single axles wears the same way.I know its an axle that was overloaded at one time and is bowed in the middle.Its not the original trailer that came with my boat.Still the tires will last me a few years and i plan on selling it before then..:rolleyes:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a custom built trailer that did that also. Forget which side of the tires got scrubbed off. Had a drop axle and it was plenty husky. Only thing I can think is that the guy who welded the drop/spindles didn't get them straight.

I know there is some dimension of caster,camber, toe in or out, that is deliberately put in the axle/spindle to prevent wandering and aid in true tracking but I don't know which one nor how much.

If you have 3500# axles, 3800# shouldn't be a problem and EZ loader has been building trailers for a long time. Should be a decal on the trailer telling you it's rating or call EZ and ask.

Mark

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

EZ Loader replaced my trailers axle a couple of years ago under warranty due the same trouble. It was a spring axle but I asked for a torsion as a replacement. Cost me $150 to switch

Manipulator

I checked and the trailer is rated at 7500 pounds. The boat doesn't weigh that much, maybe 5000 pounds loaded. I have the tortion axles (no springs).

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Okay if those axles have some age on them (1983?) the rubber inside the axle for the torsioning could be weakening. They only go into the axle tube so far.
Allowing the camber condition you suspect.

Tire wear due to turns would be equal on both edges of all tires.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

it may be a good idea to contact EZ loader,if the trailer is not that old they might work with you on replacement of the axles.

rdgallo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a friend who experienced that kind of tire wear on his Cajun Bass Boat trailer. He also noticed a considerable drop in mileage in his tow vehicle. His axle was bent causing the problem. I believe he got his trailer hung up (dropped off the ramp one time) and that bent his axle. He replaced the axle and everything appears normal now.
Just a thought.