Tommay/Rollmops/others....water again...

Kiwi Phil

Commander
I took your advice and purchased a Test Kit for e-coli and other bacteria in water.
Took me a week or two to sift thru the info and get a clear picture of what to do etc. and of course who to buy it off.
Found a Lab in Melbourne off the internet (only one with the nuts to state a price), rang the man, and he was most helpful.
Bought 20 test kits. (about $7 ea)
John and I ran 3 test today,
1 on Dam Water,
1 on treated Dam water in a storage tank and
the last on the water I am circulating thru the crop.

Basically I add 5mls of water (in a pippette) to a container that has a 'liquid' in it: shake gently then pour into a dish; let set, turn upside down, and leave in a warm spot.

I am looking forward to the results in a day or 2........errrrr....no, maybe I am not looking forward to the results.
Anyway, I am on my way.
Once again, thanks for all the advice.
Will keep you posted.
Cheers
phillip

tommays

Admiral
Re: Tommay/Rollmops/others....water again...

Phil

post a photo i will have a PHD microbiologist friend ID the results

Tommays

Kiwi Phil

Commander

tommays:
After 5 days on the bench, in the sunlight, I go a NIL result on all three.

I then put them in a styro box with a lamp, but heat went up to 95F quickly.
I ended up throwing them out after 7 days as no growths at all.

So either my water was "good" or I did something wrong....like too much heat (when I first made them up, I left them outside in the sun for 2hrs, the petrie dishes being sealed, the outside temp about 90F, so guess the temp inside the dishes could have been 110-120F.....so I wonder if I didn't sterilize them accidentally).

4 days back I did another sample of Dam water.
This time I left the petrie dish on top of the power-reducer-thing that goes to my label printer....with thermometer on top....it reads a constant 80F.

I now have growing (took 3 days to start growing) 2 "things" maybe 1/eigth of an inch across, and 3 others, smaller, maybe bigger than a pin head.

Could you ask your microbiologist friend how long I keep the petrie dish on the heat before I photo them and send them over please?

I'll keep going till I get this right.
Cheers
Phillip

tommays

Admiral

Phil

If you PM me your email i think it would be more simple to have him do email with you dirrectly

he would be able to point you in the direction on how to do the tests correctly and on the cheep :)

Tommays