Laptop Wireless and LAN

QC

Supreme Mariner
New laptop, Dell D620. On my old one whenever I was on a LAN connection it would automatically disable the Wireless deal. On this new one, it is still searching for Wireless connections all of the time, which is annoying etc. I can't find anything in Properties that seems to make sense. Thoughts?

dolluper

Captain
Re: Laptop Wireless and LAN

F12 and F2 >>.Bios disable onboard in plug/play section?? I think

Xcusme

Commander

Many laptops have a 'wireless button' to enable-disable the wifi adaptor. If your laptop doesn't have a key to disable it, you can still do it through Control Panel. Click Start, Control Panel, Network and Dialup connections icon. Right click on the wireless adaptor entry and click on Disable. To enable, do the same steps, but pick Enable to turn the wifi adaptor back on.

i386

Captain

Wireless frustrates me for reasons such as this. Windows has its own wireless configuration stuff. Often the mfg. of the wireless device will have its own wireless configuration software. One can give you false error messages when the other is in control. Anyway...

I think your Dell may have the Intel wireless software. There may be an option in there to make it behave like you want it to. My laptop only has the stuff that comes with Windows. I believe it's called the "Wireless Zero" service so my wireless always stays on unless I use the button on my laptop to disable it. So yea, check in there. Next time I get my hands on a Dell laptop I'll check for you because I know I've seen that setting somewhere. I think it's supposed to be a power/battery saving feature. If all else fails you can hit up the Dell online support and they can probably tell you.

Xcusme

Commander

Yea, I agree, the Wireless Zero Configuration can be a pain. Usually , you'll have to disable WZC to use the adaptors client manager. There is an issue with the Windows settings for the wifi adaptors too. If you tell Windows to connect to only infrastructure networks, it will still broadcast previously connections looking for adhock connections, which is a major security risk. MS knew about this problem and didn't opt to notify users even tho this was a problem. There is a hidden patch available to correct the situation....nice job MS.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

I usually remove the mfg wireless utility and let windows manage it. If want to shut it off and on use the blue FN key and the F2 key.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah agree with all here. I have fought competing wireless controls on our Desktops at home . . .

I don't recall seeing the Zero deal though. I do, however, use the Windows connection thingee: Wireless Network Connection. I definitely know how to use the F keys, the disable/enable thing and this one has a switch on the side. My problem/desire is that my old one would never "search" for, or connect to, Wireless networks (and continually tell me about it with balloons) when I was connected to a LAN line.

Thanks for the Dell utility idea though. That may be where it is. The Dell support forum (users) is great too. Had some success there with some other problems. Also their on-line chat support has been very valuable.

aspeck

Staff member

If someone hadn't spilled coffee we would never have this trouble ... :D

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your D620 has the Dell Wireless 1390 card in it there should be a setting to disable the wireless upon connecting to a wired connection. In Device Manager under Network Adapters you will see the Wireless card. Right click it and go to proprerties. Under the Advanced tab you will find the setting.

1390_Dell.jpg

Hope that helps.

Mike

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well a little bit of an update. I don't have that Dell card. Mine is an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Net. Anyway, if you go to Properties in Network Connections and click Configure for the Adapter you get the same Window as the Device Manager route. Under the General tab there is a place to select "Do not use this device in the current hardware profile (disable)". I selected that while it was docked and so far when the unit is in the Dock, no wireless, and outside of the Dock it searches, so I think that has got it done . . . Thanks for the help all!

aspeck

Staff member

Hey QC, is that the new ATG D620 - with the magnesium-alloy plates, rubber port covers, a dust proof screen, AND A SPILL PROOF KEYBOARD? HA! Good luck with the new Dell, dude!

Wellwater

Cadet

I love my toshiba satelite ,My wifes dell is nice but it does things I cant figure out sometimes.