9.8 water pump maybe?

Chris H

Cadet
Hi, I have a 9.8 1972 merc which I use as a trolling motor, problems I'm having is from the pee out let I'm getting some water and a lot of smoke, after running for about 1/2 hr the engine just dies like as its over heated, I had replaced the impellar 3 months ago and it seamed to work OK but had noticed that there was a small rubber seal at the top of the drive shaft, it dosent mention this in the manuel, also can't find the thermastate to check, any help would be most welcome

Laddies

Banned
Re: 9.8 water pump maybe?

Ck the water at the block were the telltale hooks to it, if there is little water there then there is a piece of impeller lodged in a water passage in the motor and you will have to remove the exhaust plates and water jacket cover to find the pieces

Chris H

Cadet

Thanks you where right on, Took ex cover off and found little pices of impeller in holes, thanks, you guys/girls are great, I'm thinking I should re check imeller and check the water pipe going to the engine as well just in case its from the new impeller I put in 3 moths ago.

lupien

Recruit

Where is that exhaust plate and that water cover plate? I have the same problem and don`t want to bring it to a mechanic and have to pay.

Is that it?
inside1.jpg

Or is it on this side
inside2.jpg