Need Some Quick Help!

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class
I really want to get a manual for my johnson outboard. I need to find out the exact year of my motor. Im guessing it is between 1986-1992. The serial number I see is G2549942 on the freeze plug. If you could help me specify the year of this motor, that would be awesome. I have fixed a couple of things already, but I really need to figure out the throttle issue. The throttle does not seem to be adjusted very well, and the cables are new but also VERY long. I tucked them up in the boat some, but havent had a chance to run it on the water yet. Ive run it hooked up to a hose and the motor runs and idles great, but the throttle control and the response from the motor is a little whack.

Also, when I squeeze up the fuel bulb, it doesnt ever get hard (I bought a new bulb too). That tells me there is a leak somewhere. The fuel filter looks old, I will replace this asap, as soon as I find out what year motor this is, and I can get a manual to work on the throttle cables.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/BigNiner19/DSC00535.jpg

Please Help!

Cory

iwombat

Captain
Re: Need Some Quick Help!

You need to try and find a model number. Should be on the transom mount opposide side of the picture provided. Also, is that a hose sticking out of the tell-tale hole? It should be a plastic fitting. w/o the fitting it's probably dumping too much water.

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to try and find a model number. Should be on the transom mount opposide side of the picture provided. Also, is that a hose sticking out of the tell-tale hole? It should be a plastic fitting. w/o the fitting it's probably dumping too much water.

Yea that picture was when I first got it. I swapped that out immediately. Im still trying to figure out the year of this motor though. Im not finding any numbers that mean anything on the motor.

Cory

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Took off the cover and took some pics, just incase that might help someone identify a year. Im still trying to figure out what to do with my throttle issue. I guess the throttle cables may be to long and that is why the throttle has so much play? But I really dont know at this point.

DSC00543.jpg

DSC00542.jpg

DSC00541.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

Thanks to anyone trying to help me out with this.

Cory

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

that one is too old for me to look up on the dealer website...try looking on the starter or some of the other electronics on engine and see if there is a date of manufacture...appears to be early to mid 80's :cool:

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

that one is too old for me to look up on the dealer website...try looking on the starter or some of the other electronics on engine and see if there is a date of manufacture...appears to be early to mid 80's :cool:

Thanks for your reply. Ill keep looking for different numbers. I've looked all over though.

Cory.

iwombat

Captain

Just going off the parts drawings and the pictures of your LU, I can only find one LU with the holes behind the annode and the small annode - 1986 with the gearcase for the 15" transom. Now, that doesn't mean the other drawings didn't simply leave off the little holes.

If you can find a number close to J60ELCDS someplace you've got your animal.

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just going off the parts drawings and the pictures of your LU, I can only find one LU with the holes behind the annode and the small annode - 1986 with the gearcase for the 15" transom. Now, that doesn't mean the other drawings didn't simply leave off the little holes.

If you can find a number close to J60ELCDS someplace you've got your animal.

Thanks Iwombat. I will continue to scope it out. Im searching for answers about my throttle issues now. Because really, that is the only thing keeping me off the water right now. I dont want to take it out without being able to know that i can slow down, or idle when I need to etc...

Cory

iwombat

Captain

The length of the cable should make no difference in the operation of the throttle. Could be you just have worn out cables though.

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

the motor I have is a 1990. I found the model number. It wasn't visable because the motor had been painted before, covering up the number. I removed the paint after I kind of noticed one number just by looking at it...and found it to be the model number. Thanks to all for your help.

iwombat

Captain

Hey! Good deal. I wasn't exactly comfortable with the matching holes and annode to the drawings approach. Pretty crude way of going about it all.