Fuel Line 98 5.0 Mercruiser

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer
Below is from a recent thread quote about Fuel Lines from Bond-O. Did not want to Pirate the thread with my own question.

Why not just use Fuel Hose for the Whole Thing..........

That's what I do...........

It has been mentioned more than once, maybe even on this forum about using metal for fuel lines, in fear of the Rubber Hose melting in the event of a fire. What is the straight scoop?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Line 98 5.0 Mercruiser

The straight scoop is it is against CG regs to use rubber hose between the fuel pump & the carb........:)

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

The straight scoop is it is against CG regs to use rubber hose between the fuel pump & the carb........:)

So would you say that this fuel line should be replaced?

Picture026.jpg

Destin

Seaman

Download and save the revised (Nov 2003) fuel system regulations. Good reading and lots of drawings..

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/downloads/FUELSYSTEM.pdf

As far as I can tell, you no longer have to use metallic fuel line between fuel pump and carburetor.
Check out pages 63 to 73 of the Coast Guard's fuel systems regulations. It tells you the requirements for flexible fuel lines between the fuel pump and carburetor. From the above regulations:

FEDERAL LAW:
--------------------------------------------------
183.558 Hoses and connections.
(a) Each hose used between the fuel pump and the carburetor must be “USCG Type A1” hose.
If a hose is used in the fuel line running between the fuel pump and the carburetor, the hose must be “USCG Type A1” and so labeled as required by 183.540. This requirement is applicable whether the fuel pump is engine mounted or mounted remotely from the engine, as permitted by 183.566.

This requirement does not apply to a tube used to detect fuel pump diaphragm failure.

FEDERAL LAW:
183.560 Hoses clamps: Installation.
Each hose clamp on a hose from the fuel tank to the fuel inlet connection on the
engine, a hose between the fuel pump and the carburetor, or a vent line must:

(c) Be beyond the bead, flare, or over the serrations of the mating spud, pipe, or hose fitting; and (see 183.560)
-------------------------------------------------
This requirement does not apply to a tube used to detect fuel pump diaphragm failure.

Any hose to be used with hose clamps and installed in:
(a) the fuel tank vent line;
(b) the fuel line between the fuel pump and the carburetor; or
(c) the fuel distribution line between the fuel tank and the fuel inlet connection at the engine is required to be assembled with the hose clamp:

(a) at least one-quarter inch from the end of the hose, and
(b) beyond a bead or flare, or
(c) over serrations or annular grooves (183.530).

NOTE:
Wire types of hose clamps are not acceptable.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I stand corrected......:redface:​

tommays

Admiral

You are reading the EASY part

If you use HOSE you need to read the HARD PART about the type of legal hose barbs and clamps :)

Tommays

Destin

Seaman

Yep! You need to read all 11 pages to get the proper fittings and clamps, which can be confusing. I would also print out those pages to keep on the boat, in case you are inspected. You may need to prove that you are legal.

Coors

Captain

Make sure that you install the hose so anybody can see the writing "uscg approved a1"

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Correct me if i`m wrong,but don`t you need steel lines on the "pressure side" of a fuel pump.rubber is fine from the tank to the pump but was always steel from the pump to the carb.