A newbie that could use some help.

Popeye123

Recruit
Hi all,

I am currently compiling a power point presentation for an assignment at college relating to Keel Bolts.

I know absolutely nothing about boating and I was wondering if someone will know the answer to this question, which I'm sure most of you will..

How is the Keel joined to the Hull on a yacht?

Any help is appreciated, it's a stupid assignment as I will never work on a boat as a Mechanical Fitter.

Thanks in advance! :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: A newbie that could use some help.

Why not ask that question on a www search engine. Obviously the keel is a significant structural member that interconnects the bottom of the boat including bow sprit, ribs, transom and masts (if so equipped).

When you say Yacht, you could be talking about numerous types of vessels and hull shapes. It might be motor powered wherein the keel protrudes just slightly under the hull, and could be displacement or planing which would further affect the shape of the keel and hull, or it might be a sailing yacht which usually carry names like sloop, ketch, schooner, etc. wherein the keel could weigh several tons and protrude many feet below the hull.

Good Luck

Mark

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

They are bolted on as you say. Typically pairs of bolts, or threaded L's, or U's, are cast into the keel, pass through and are bolted on the inside of the hull. The hull is suspended above the keel and precisely lowered down over the bolts.

Popeye123

Recruit

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm sure I will be able to string a few sentences together for the presentation. I initially tried a search engine but strangely enough I couldn't find an explanation as to how they were joined.

Thanks alot !