1965 Johnson 9.5 water pump?

Carbkid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I pulled my motor out of storage last night and lo and behold I have no spark. So I pull the points out and clean them and all is good until I notice no water coming out of the tell tale. When I pulled the pump out I noticed that there were no gaskets on either side of the impeller housing plate. Is this right? When I am holding the impeller housing in my hand the fins are pointed left and I was wondering if this is right as well. Also, does anyone have a waterpump kit number for this motor MQ-11C
Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Johnson 9.5 water pump?

382296 is the complete OEM water pump. which comes with a new housing. There is supposed to be a gasket under the plate.

A lot of cases of insects nesting in the exhaust relief and water tubes are reported, Try running water through the water tube when you have the gearcase off.

Carbkid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ah, I forgot to mention that I did back flush the motor and water was coming out of the tell tale.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Check the water intake screen above the propeller. Sometimes it gets gunked up.

When the motor is running in forward, the propeller pushes water into the screen/intake, but without that extra push, it doesn't take much to block the water flow.

Also, when you run in a barrel, make sure that the water level is higher than the top of the actual water pump.​

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes the impellar fins point to the left, Its a clocwise rotation.

Carbkid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When I had it in the barrel the water was above the intakes, I made sure of that. I will have to check that screen out tonight.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The water pump sits about 5" above the small water intakes for running in reverse that are above the a/v plate and a couple more inches above the main water intake at the water intake screen above the propeller. If you want to give your water pump a head start while running in neutral at idle, get the water in your barrel up to where the pump is.

Attachments

• 9.5 Water Intake.JPG
    9.5 Water Intake.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 0

Carbkid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will it work to use the flusher that hooks to a hose. I have one of these but thought the barrel would be better. I had the water just abouve the intake holes on the side of the case in the picture.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Will it work to use the flusher that hooks to a hose. I have one of these but thought the barrel would be better. I had the water just abouve the intake holes on the side of the case in the picture.

The flusher or "muffs" really won't work on that motor.....use a barrel.

I think you probably need to be a little deeper in the water, like ezeke said. Get the water at the very least up to where he labeled the pump.

Carbkid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How come when I look up this motor on the Johnson website it does not show a gasket on both sides of the impeller plate? Isn't there usually one on both sides of the plate? If not how can it seal itself? Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Actually, the gasket that comes with the water pump kit is for under the bearing carrier.

Some manuals say to put a thin bead of sealer on the outer edge of both sides of the impeller plate.

Carbkid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am having trouble finding the water pump kit as mentioned above 382296. Does anyone know where I can order the whole kit including the housing online? The top of the housing where the impeller rides has some scratches on it. Would I be ok putting it back together with a new impeller? Thanks

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

If you look at Pony's link you will see the words:​
Description
Replaces OEM part #
  • OMC 382296

I am a real supporter of the iboats Sierra aftermarket Kits in many cases, but not this one.​

The part number [382296] that I gave is the coreect OMC/BRP OEM kit, complete with the housing and improved impeller. It is available at any J/E/BRP dealer worldwide and from ishopmarine.com, maxrules.com and many other on line OEM dealers.​

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Just a hint: When you put it back together, don't leave out that rubber seal that goes on top of the pump housing. If you do, you will be tearing your hair out trying to figure out why it won't run with the hood on.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I have heard that before. Why is that?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Because the drive shaft runs in an isolated tube from the water pump to the powerhead. The seal keeps exhaust gasses from going up through the tube.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/frankr_photos/9.jpg?t=1178760359

Water that escapes past the impeller goes up that tube too. So drains are provided to drain that water out. A vent hole at the top prevents air lock that would allow the water to completely fill the cavity and get past the main bearing seal.

If exhaust is blowing into the tube, it comes out the vent hole. Since the vent hole is inside the hood, the hood fills up with exhaust smoke and the carb breathes it. Exhaust smoke is low on oxygen which the motor needs for combustion.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/frankr_photos/9-1.jpg?t=1178760774

Carbkid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok so I put the impeller back in upside down and flipped the legs the opposite way and all is well. Spits water like crazy. The only reason for using the old impeller is because fishing opener is this weekend and I don't want to wait for the new one to arrive. I think my problem was not having the water high enough in the barrel as well. Thanks everbody.

Carbkid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I forgot to mention that after running the engine I noticed gear oil in the barrel. Where is the coming from? The seal behind the prop is not leaking so it must be the drive shaft seal or?????????????

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That is far more likely to be unburned oil from the engine, but it could be from the fill or vent screws. Most people don't realize that you need to replace the seals on those screws each time you fill the gearcase.

The driveshaft seals are part of the waterpump kit, so they get replaced frequently. The o-ring seals for the shift rod leak somtimes.

Every service manual and service department will tell you never to flip an impeller - it makes the ears break off.