1986 6hp 2 stroke water pump issues

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer
Inherited the motor last spring. It sat unused for several years. Someone else started and ran it on the water prior to giving it to me. It ran good so I continued to run it a few times last year. It never got hot and ran perfectly. It had a fan pattern on the tell tale that was cured by running a bit of weedwacker string up the hole and I got a bit of what appeared to be weeds out of it. Whizzed a nice stream after that.

Ran it this spring and no tell tale at any speed. Still running cool however.

Opened it up and the impeller looks great, is nice and supple, no chunks missing and still tight to the shaft. Of course, I'll be replacing it anyway but relieved to see it did not disintegrate.

Now, what could be plugging up the works? String fished up the water tube or into the tell tale goes in as far as expected before it hits a bend I can't get past. I tried some compressed air applied to the water tube and then the tell tale but do not feel appreciable amount of flow at the other end.

As far as I can tell there isn't any thermostat and the Seloc manual doesn't show one. I was wondering if anyone has experience and can say if it should flow air freely and if so, how can I go about finding where it's plugged without tearing into it too much, if possible. Thanks in advance for any insight!

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 6hp 2 stroke water pump issues

OK, I did find a reference to a thermostat in the powerhead section of the manual. It is under the head cover so it looks like I'll be taking that apart. Hopefully, I can find a new gasket for it as well as a thermostat and water pump repair kit.