Well, at least it didn't sink

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took my (new to me) 1969 MT on it's maiden voyage. It has a 165 HP mercruiser in it.

It ran like a top. It ought to, for as much time I spent working on the engine. Biggest problem was water - LOTS of it! I launched, and when I got free of the trailer I hit the bilge pump just to check. My 1500 GPH bilge pump ran the whole time my wife parked the truck and walked back. That had to be 2-3 minutes. Thing was, I couldn't see any more coming in. Water never went over the transom while launching. Is this likely a bad bellows? I ran it for about 5-10 minutes and the water never got deeper. This is good, because the bilge pump quit for asme reason. It was brand new.

When pulling out, water was pouring from the gearbox in the lower unit. Gasket must be junk. The housing doesn't seem to be cracked.

It was so windy that we had water coming up over the bow when we hit some of the waves. So, (LUCKILY, after seeing the gearbox) we turned around and loaded up. The hull seems to be fine. I am leaning towards resealing the drive and putting it back in the water. How much does this cost? Which drive do I have? Can someone post a link to a manual for it specifically?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Well, at least it didn't sink

After you get it emptied out and dry, leave it on the trailer and back it down in the water. Open the engine hatch and LOOK and LISTEN. With that much water it will be real obvious. If nothing leaks, then put the drive down and start the engine (Still on the trailer) any water coming in now.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...........

That Leak,..... Or Those Leaks should be Real Easy to Find........

All you gotta do is Look.............

Did you put the Hull drain Plug In,..??......

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,...........

Did you put the Hull drain Plug In,..??......

This was the first thing that ran through my mind.....Yes, I did. Like I said, it quit leaking all together after I got out.

Are the bellows normally underwater when underway?

Don S

If you are up on plane, the bellows will be out of the water.
For the bellows to leak that much water into the boat, the gimbal bearing must be rusty and out of grease that it has to be noisy.
Same with the ujoints, and how about the gear lube. you would have to have water in it, since the bellows is the only thing to keep water out of the drive on the input shaft.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are up on plane, the bellows will be out of the water.
For the bellows to leak that much water into the boat, the gimbal bearing must be rusty and out of grease that it has to be noisy.
Same with the ujoints, and how about the gear lube. you would have to have water in it, since the bellows is the only thing to keep water out of the drive on the input shaft.

The boat hasn't been out since '02. It may have ruptured when I ran it with the earmuffs on. Nothing was noisy. It was probably stored in the up position all those years though. I have a reciept for the drive having been gone through in '01. That's why I bought the boat - I didn't think there'd be problems in there with only a few hours on it. The owner sold because of som pretty major health problems.

My gearbox was full of water, it was running out the seal when I pulled it out of the water.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The boat hasn't been out since '02. It may have ruptured when I ran it with the earmuffs on. Nothing was noisy. It was probably stored in the up position all those years though. I have a reciept for the drive having been gone through in '01. That's why I bought the boat - I didn't think there'd be problems in there with only a few hours on it. The owner sold because of som pretty major health problems.

My gearbox was full of water, it was running out the seal when I pulled it out of the water.

Define gearbox and seal. drive is a sealed unit. water cant come from the drive into the boat..bellows,shift boot are 2 sources

cjames

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If those boots havent been changed since '01, if thats not where your leak is coming from, it will be soon. Also, if theres water in the drive oil, might want to think of at least re-sealing it, if not having it overhauled.

Every 2 years I replace:

drive boot
exhaust boot
shift cable AND boot
raw water pump
new seals and gaskets to assemble
while youre in there, its a good time to inspect other parts.

Its amazing how few problems youll have while boating (at least with the outdrive) following the above schedule, and gimble bearings last forever.

One of theese days I'm gonna swear off mercs....

Did you change the oil in the drive before taking the boat out? after 5 years of sitting, theres probably some water from condensation in the drive. Change the oil quick before anything in there has time to rust, do some inspecting. If you still cant find that leak, stick it in the water on the trailer like Don S. said.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did not change the water in the drive before taking it out. I also realize that water in the gearbox will not leak into the boat. I have two problems.

How can I see the leak when it's coming in? I really can't see behind the engine well at all. I'm planning on doing all bellows, seals, gimbal bearing and possibly u joints. I still need to know what kind of drive I have and where the best place to order these is. I'd like to find a manual on this as well.

Thanks,

mike

Don S

I did not change the water in the drive before taking it out. I also realize that water in the gearbox will not leak into the boat.

Good Grief man, you are supposed to have gear lube in the outdrive, not water :eek:
If it's full of water you have worse problems than you can even think about. Water does not lubricate bearings and gears. Don't even start the engine till you learn some things about boat engines and drives.

Bondo

Staff member

How can I see the leak when it's coming in? I really can't see behind the engine well at all.

The Only Way to tell is LOOK.....If you have to disassemble 1/2 of the Boat to do it,......
Then That's What it Takes..........
I still need to know what kind of drive I have and where the best place to order these is. I'd like to find a manual on this as well.

You have a Pre-Alpha,..... Model 1.......

NAPA will sell you Most of the parts to fit it,.........

Don might be able to Help with a Manual,.....
But I'm guessing ebay Might be the Only place to Find 1......