want to go faster!

teamgraphx

Cadet
I have a 1996 wellcraft excel 21SL cuddy with the volvo 5.0 GS and cobra sx outdrive. I had a 21p 3 blade alumnium prop seemed to ventilate when cornering but had a top speed of about 45 mph. I been told that the SS will not flex and give more bite. Also I figured if I'm going to spend the money on a new prop go why not go with an Apollo 4 blade 22p. not a good idea. now it wont go over about 40 and I can get past 4100 RPM. My main goal really is to be able to go about 50 or so and occaisionally wakeboard. I'm thinking of dropping pitch to 20 and stay with 4 blades or should it be the 3 blade 22?

Thanks

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: want to go faster!

What rpms is the engine running @ WOT?

snoking

Cadet

Well 45 is about what a 21 foot cuddy cab boat with a 5.0L will do. By adding the 4th blade and pitch also, you are now over prop'd as you know. Going back to your original prop is the best route. Unless you can find a prop dealer that willing work with you, it is hard to pick a prop off the shelf and have it work correctly the first time. SNOKING

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

SS props do not slip as much as aluminum props and 4 blades slip less than 3 blades. You will probably like an 18" SS 4 blade best.

On my last boat, I switched from a 23" alumin 3 blade (4800 RPM WOT) to a 20" SS 4 blade (4800 RPM WOT too) and my holeshot and top speed improved a bit, while my mid range punch became insane. Mine was a 21 foot Regal with a merc 5.0.

teamgraphx

Cadet

thanks mischief, that's what I was thinking.

What's your top speed?