any rendezvous owners (early 1990's)

rlamoreaux

Recruit
Re: any rendezvous owners (early 1990's)

I have a 96 26 1/2. Have a few issues but main one is tight steering. Can not see cable number to pre order new cable so I have to pull cable then order new one. I think its a Teleflex rack 17' long. Potty room hatch is a bit warped. I have already redone seats. Not much else.

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds familiar. i replaced a warped head hatch and redid some of the cusions already. when i had my 120 hp and got it to around 4300 rpm's the engine would make a noise like i had just spun the prop ( after having the prop re hub'd it would do the same thing ) i was courious if i was still dealing with a another spun prop or having a cavitation issue, given the catamaran hull design. good to hear from you - i realize that there is not too many of these out there. what power do you have on yours?

P51D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glennrow - I've a 2609 GA, year is '94 (I think), with a 175 HP Merc on it. I've had it for 2.5 yrs now, with few issues. Yes, I replaced the plywood/formica hatch for the head this summer. Seats need to be re-done also. It sounds like you've run into these as well. Other issue is a leaking hydraulic steering cylinder, but that's a Teleflex product, I believe. I'll be installing the seal replacement kit this winter.

Other things are what I would call normal aging, wear & tear: Needs a new bimini, and paint/epoxy coating on handrails is starting to peel.

In general, I can't really complain, and it is a really fun boat. Lots of room for out two young kids. Fast enough for us (about 38 mph on the speedo).

It sounds like you and rlamoreaux have both replaced seat cushions. I'm going to need to replace the "Wraparound seating" behind the driver, and the bench seat on the fwd port side. Driver seat is fine, as is a "fold out" cushion on the fwd starboard side. I'm afraid to price this work out, but I can't avoid it for much longer. What should I expect?

I will need a new cover soon as well. The existing cover has snaps on it, and I'm guess it's either factory or after-market custom. Have either of you replaced covers, and if so, any recommendations?

Also, what do you two have for trailers? My ShorLander is showing the effects of occasional saltwater use.

THANKS

P51D

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the seats are not that hard to do - i redid them myself. regarding the trailer: i dont have one, i winter at the marina - my yard already looks like a mini marina/boat graveyard. i upgraded to a 150hp this spring ( big difference ) - not not as fun as your 175

P51D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glennrow - encouraging to hear you were able to do the seats yourself, as I was thinking of giving that a try.

Did the re-power solve your over-revving "spun-prop" sound issue? On occasion, in a turn, mine will ventilate, and the only way to stop it seems to be to back off the throttle and let it get a good "bite" again.

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

doing the seats myself seemed like the way to go. i didnt want to spend too much money ( have 2 youngs ones and new cusions would only invite fish hooks and juice spills ). i went the whole season under new power with no problems at all. on the way to the marina for haul out, i did hear that noise again. i feel much better knowing that it's not uncommon ( and come to think of it, it was during a turn ). now winter is upon us, so time to make a new bimini top and forward swim platform. have a great winter

P51D

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glennrow - yes, the boat actually does make some strange noises. Besides the occasional ventilation, I get some weird sounds that I think are coming from the self-bailing scuppers/drains. With the tunnel created by the sponsons, there are opportunities for some interesting resononance. Since drains exit into the tunnel, the sounds carry back up towards the deck.

So you have two young ones as well? Ours are both rambunctious boys, age 3 and 6. One of the reasons I love this boat is that it's big enough to keep them out of each other's hair. Nobody has hooked a seat cushion yet, but give them time! That will happen. And I know what you mean about the juice spills!!

For the upholstery and bimini, do you have a commercial sewing machine, or a typical household one?

johmar

Recruit

I am new to the forum and need some help and guidence. I am looking at purchasing a 1998 26' Bayliner Rendezvous. It has a 1993 150hp Force. It was a trade in at a local Marina. They are asking $8,500 including the trailer.

Questions:

1.) I am concerened about the reliability and serviceability of the 1993 Force 150hp engine, should I be ?

2.) The boat weighs 4300 lbs, I realize the engine is undersized and at some point I will need to replace the motor. Can I relace it EASILY with
a 200 hp? What would be involved and at what cost? The throttle control is a Quick Silver.

Thanks Very Much For Your Feedback