85 hp evinrude, intermittent starting

howden

Cadet
hi- its a 1980 85hp, has a starting problem. Sometimes it would start with the key , you could run around and if you turned off the motor, 10 seconds later won't start, would have to pull start. Got a new starter put on, thought the problem was cured but its not. starts after you touch some of the wires going into the starter. They have been tightened down, problem still exists. help

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: 85 hp evinrude, intermittent starting

Disconnect the battery positive cable at the solenoid, clean the terminal end and the solenoid post with a solvent or wd40, polish with sandpaper until bright and shiny, then do the same at the other large solenoid post leading to the starter.

Keep the old starter - it's still good, and you'll need it 25 years from now when the new one breaks down.

iwombat

Captain

Keep the WD40 away from electrical connections. It turns into a yellow goopy mess in the midst of a loose and arcing connection, and only makes the problem worse.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Keep the WD40 away from electrical connections. It turns into a yellow goopy mess in the midst of a loose and arcing connection, and only makes the problem worse.

thanks for the heads up - I've not experienced this but will take your word for it!

iwombat

Captain

I'd used WD40 for years, until an RF field technician showed me it's effects on a relay someone had dosed with the stuff. (I think I know who too.) Yellow tar is the best way to describe the coating that was left.

I wasn't the responsible party, but I got a good scolding anyway. You don't need to tell me twice.

badog229

Cadet

could also be the safty kill switch getting crossed with 12 volts somehow it happend to my father in law and if it does the power pack will be next