Who knows about Webers?

pinbodean

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
I have a 1996 Mercruiser 7.4 Bravo 3 with a 4bbl Weber carb. This engine is very hard to start after it sets for a few days. It will crank and crank but not fire. I can pump it forever with no luck. Eventually, after lots of cranking, it will start. If I pour gas down the carb, it will fire immediately. The choke is closed and adjusted properly. It's like the float bowl empties after it sits for a while, and it takes a while for the fuel pump to fill it up again. (Like the infamous Quadrajet problem) Either that, or the accelerator pump is toast. ( I didn't have another warm body to check for fuel squirts) I have no experience with Webers, so I'm looking for opinions.

PS $120 for a rebuild kit? Whoa!

Bodean

FRANK-L

Recruit
Re: Who knows about Webers?

Don't particularly know about webers but what if you move the throttle out of the neutral detent then went back and manually moved the the carb linkage to check for fuel

Bondo

Staff member

It's like the float bowl empties after it sits for a while,

Ayuh,..... That's the Issue.....

Who knows about Webers?

It's a Carbon Copy of the Edlebrock Preformer series,......

Go to the Edlebrock website, They have a Fantastic Shop Manual on line for these Carbs.......

Also,..... Buy your Parts thru them,..... The Availibility is Much Better,+ Much Cheaper......

Olds Eddie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My guess is that the gas is evaporating due to the hot intake manifold transferring heat to the carb bowl. This is the real cause of most q-jet problems as well. If you are running in fresh water or have closed cooling system you can run an Edelbrock air gap manifold which will keep this from happening.

jedimaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to have a sidedraft weber, but not the same design as the one you have.
Just disconnect your throttle line from the carb and you will be bale to pump it manually and see if any fuel is still there after it sits.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Bondo!

You have piqued my interest!

I have this carburetor laying around here for my 98 BBC and from what you're saying it's the Edelbrock "Mild Marine Performance" #1410 model at the bottom of the page?

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/pdf/carb_app_chart.pdf

Ayuh,..... That's the Issue.....

It's a Carbon Copy of the Edlebrock Preformer series,......

Go to the Edlebrock website, They have a Fantastic Shop Manual on line for these Carbs.......

Also,..... Buy your Parts thru them,..... The Availibility is Much Better,+ Much Cheaper......

RCSConstruction

Chief Petty Officer

I just bought an edelbrock 1409 and it has weber cast into the carb body.
I think weber builds them for edelbrock and edelbrock bought the carter AFB design rights.
I think they (weber/carter/edelbrock) all run under the federal mogul parent company.
I could be wrong, it's been awhile.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Look under the carb to see if the manufacturer used a carb spacer plate.

I've installed 1 inch phenolic spacers to insulate the carb from heat soak/flooding which occurs shortly after shut down. No more hard starts. An added benefit is a little bit more torque in the mid/top end.

Careful on the mixture of fuel stabilizer, the weber is suseptable to stabilizer in large quantities becoming adheasive and sticking the float needles in their seats, restricting fuel flow.

Bondo

Staff member

Bondo!
You have piqued my interest!

Ayuh,........ You've got a copy of the Merc/ Weber/ Edlebrock/ Carter Clones......

Your's is the 750cfm,..... I believe it's got 4 Big Bores, making it a Square Bore.....
The 600cfm is actually a Spread bore, with Tiny Primaries,+ Larger Secondaries.....
'course, Either will bolt to Either manifold....

I just found This again,..... It's the Tech Manual for these Carbs.....

Eddie,..... trust Me,.... It's Leaking........
Depending on How Long it sits,....... It'll either Flood the motor, or there's No Gas in the Carb to Start.......

RC,..... I'm not Sure of it's lineage, other than it's a Carter Clone,.....

My Strip/ Street Tuning Kit is a Federal Mogul, part# 10-201,.... It's NLA....
Except you can now buy an Edlebrock Tuning Kit that's the Exact Same Kit......
For More Money of course..... But Stilll the Best Spent Money for these Carbs....
It gives you the Ultimate in Tuneability.......

When I got my 4.3l, You Couldn't Breathe at the transom when trolling with a tailwind,......
The Raw Gas smell would make you Gag......
I tried,+ tried to get Needles or Jets from Merc. with No Luck, At All.......
For the $30.00 or so I spent on this Kit,.......
Now my plugs are Cream,+ Coffee Brown, where they used to be Black,+ Carbon Fouled after a few Hours.......

Merc sets up their motors Rich to make them Last Longer.......I Leaned mine Right down.......

pinbodean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bondo and all. Sorry i didn't get back; I've been gone a couple of days.

So why do the float bowls leak, and will a kit fix them?

Bodean