No Fuel - '69 MT

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 69 Mark Twain boat with the 160 HP mercruiser straight six in it. I just bought it and haven't taken it out yet. I got a new battery and new bilge pump for it and have been cleaning it up. It runs great and I have a full tune up kit for it.

Just before I took it to the lake yesterday, I started it and it wouldn't rev. It ran out of fuel. THe fuel filter attached to the pump was full, but none at the carb. I pulled the pump and it was completely dry - not even wet. Nothing inside looked bad to me, so I put it back together. Still no start. Fuel drips from the tank line, but not as fast as I would think it should.

Now the really confusing stuff. The fuel pump has a weep hole - I thought marine ones don't. There was a line going from the outlet of the pump to the inlet of the fuel filter with what looked like a check valve in it, which was full of junk. I removed this to see if it would pump without this, because it didn't look like it should be there to me. It still won't pump. I have no return line from the carb and my distributor has a vacuum advance on it.

So here are my questions

1) Do I have the right fuel pump?
2) Where can I get either the kit or the right pump?
3) is there a sock on the pickup in the tank that might be plugged?
4) can I mount a big filter like my diesel has on the transom?
5) what was the bypass line on the pump?
6) How do I tell whether I have the right carb or not?
7) Do I have the right distributor? Does it matter?
8) Is there anything else I might be missing here?

Thanks,

Mike

Bondo

Staff member
Re: No Fuel - '69 MT

It Sounds like your Answers are,.....
1),.. Nope...
2),.. NAPA is My Choice...
3),.. There Could Be,+ there's a Check Valve at the Elbow on the Tank...
4),.. Ayuh,...... See NAPA on this 1 too...
5),.. Not sure yet...
6),.. Don will have this answer...
7),.. Nope,...... No Vacuum used on boats...
8),.. See #6.................................................;)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iboats......:)
Sounds like you might have some automotive parts on there, which is not good.....
I don't know of any marine dist. that has a vacuum advance.....
If you can post some pics, it will help with ID.....
You should change your topic to include Merc. I-6, & you will get more/better responses.......
Your fuel pickup may or may not have a screen......;)

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank both of you for the help. I will see if I can find a digital camera at work and take a picture.

It doesn't look like I can edit the title. I tried.

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It Sounds like your Answers are,.....
1),.. Nope...
2),.. NAPA is My Choice...
3),.. There Could Be,+ there's a Check Valve at the Elbow on the Tank...
4),.. Ayuh,...... See NAPA on this 1 too...
5),.. Not sure yet...
6),.. Don will have this answer...
7),.. Nope,...... No Vacuum used on boats...
8),.. See #6.................................................;)

I got the new pump. Instead of a weep hole it has a hose fitting for a hose I don't have. Where might that hose go?

Bondo

Staff member

It's supposed to be a Clear Yellow Plastic line that runs up,+ dumps into the Carb, or Flame Arrester.......

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's supposed to be a Clear Yellow Plastic line that runs up,+ dumps into the Carb, or Flame Arrester.......

There are no fittings in teh flame arrestor. I see a clear line running between the valve cover and the carburetor and I still have the vacuum going to the distributor. I assume the vacuum line needs to be capped. Should I tee into the other line?

ziggy

Admiral

the way i'm seein whats happen is that yer new fuel pump has the proper fail safe on it for when the diaphram leaks. the yellow tube bondos talkin about is the one that goes into the top of the carb. where the fuel spills back into the carb should the fuel pump fail. i don't think you have one. and i don't know what your gonna have to do to get one.

i'm thinkin the tube yer seein that's clear, running from the valve cover to the flame arrestor is just crankcase ventelation.

it also seems to me that if you have vac advance on the distributor. and marine distributors don't have any vac. advance. then it must be an auto distributor. i think that distributers are also marine rated and uscg approved. that auto counter part would not qualify.....

hope i'm not leading ya astray man. but thems my thoughts.......

ziggy

Admiral

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=193799

in post #5, bottom picture of this thread is similar to what i think your needing. the yellow tube i think connects to the fuel pump...

this is not off yer L6. but just for the notion of what yer looking for......i think....

dirtyoldman

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=193799

in post #5, bottom picture of this thread is similar to what i think your needing. the yellow tube i think connects to the fuel pump...

this is not off yer L6. but just for the notion of what yer looking for......i think....

That fitting goes now to the valve cover.

Somethign doesn't make sense though. That fitting is above the throttle plates. There's almost no vacuum there. What will keep fuel from going straight into the crankcase instead of up to the carb?

If I connect the fuel pump there where should my valve cover line go to?

I am trying to get a marine distributor now for it. If anyone has one please let me know.

Bondo

Staff member

Somethign doesn't make sense though. That fitting is above the throttle plates. There's almost no vacuum there. What will keep fuel from going straight into the crankcase instead of up to the carb?

It enters the airflow Above the throttle plates,......

It's Not there to Suck the gas out of the Pump,.........
It's There so you'll Know the pump has Failed........

Some attach to the Flame Arrester,+ Some attach to a port at the top of the Carb......