1987 Alumacraft Remodel

Pony

Rear Admiral
After much thought, I decided that I would try to add a deck and raised pedastal to my alumacraft. I did some testing last summer with the boats COG and decided it could easily handle this. The pedastal is only 10 inches higher than before. The seat itself wont be used when the boat is under way.

I somehow was able to locate the EXACT carpeting that I used in the rest of the boat, so thankfully everything will match.

There are still a lot of things I would like to do with this boat before taking her out. I am in the process of making a new bilge pump mount out of metal......I had one made out of some wood that I tried to just coat with epoxy, but I missed a section on one of the edges and the thing rotted. I have already moved the gas tank up about 3 feet, in an attempt to get some better weight distribution. The battery will remain in the back........to acomodate the new fish locator. I still need to mount that and mount the new transducer........Oh and fire it up!

Here are some pics of my day..............

BEFORE:
picture014ys8.jpg

picture015la4.jpg

picture005ou6.jpg

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: 1987 Alumacraft Remodel

AFTER:
picture004zq0.jpg

picture002eh5.jpg

picture006rz4.jpg

picture003ml1.jpg

picture007tn7.jpg

I used some 2x4's I had laying around to make a frame between the seats. I then used some steel brackets to screw them in (putting silicone on the threads to seal the opening and keep the foam under the bench seat from getting wet) I decided to cut out a storage hatch at the last minute......I have my fishing net, anchor, spare prop, and boat cushion in there now...........

Let me know what ya'll think.....anything I should add? (I am thinking of adding some lights for night fishing......already have running lights.)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Are the other seats adjustable from left to right? Or are they in a fixed position?

I see a few nice items I might add to my 14' Starcraft this year.

Since you have that nice front position ...... now you can mount a trolling motor.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Nice work. Clean looking hatch. I just did the same on a 14' Starcraft. Isn't it a bit nervous when you have just finished cutting the plywood, and before you have tested to see if it fit? ;)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

john, that why i go to the appliance store and get refrigerator boxes. they're cheap compared to plywood.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pony nice job. agree trolling motor. but your gonna get so much stuff in it you can't load it on take neat rig you made for the truck.

John_S

Rear Admiral

tashasdaddy, never though about refrigerator boxes! The good news is, I didn't need to cut a 2nd sheet. I am interested in those boxes, just incase there is another project on the horizon. Are they made from 5/8" ext grade plywood? What are the typical dimensions of usable plywood you get from them? I needed a 4' X 5' sheet. Not sure if the boxes are big enough to cover that.

BF

Lieutenant

I'm pretty sure he meant that he uses cardboard from the boxes to make a template that he traces over the wood. (rather than cut the wood wrong the first time)

Pony

Rear Admiral

For me personally, it takes much longer for me to cut up cardboard, fit it, and then trace it out on some ply, than to take a bunch of measurements and make a few calculations. If you look at that plywood in my picture, I have a whole bunch of lines markings on it. It fit perfectly the first time. As for the hatch, I just used the cut-out and ran it through the table saw to cut a 1/4" off earch edge to make up for the 2 layers of carpet.

Bob, the seats are adjustable from right to left. Those brackets are custome made. Underneath the bench seat, the bracket is "squeezed" to the seat with 2 threaded rods and some wing nuts. Loosen the two nuts and the whole assembly can slide to the left or right.

Thanks for the complements guys, it turned out better than I hoped.

John_S

Rear Admiral

"I'm pretty sure he meant that he uses cardboard from the boxes to make a template that he traces over the wood. (rather than cut the wood wrong the first time)"

Outside of feeling preety stupid, it makes much more sense. :) I did use a cardboard template, down the perpendicular of the boat, and try to compensate for cutting angle against the hull. While the hull angle changes, I used a constant 45 degree cut. While not perfect, it was a good enough fit. When I did the flooring a couple of years ago, on the very first piece, I made a mirror image mistake. I now have a cutout for a bilge pump along with the original drain access cutout. :) It was all part of the plan!

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Looks great Pony, I've said it before! Gonna take me fishing now? :D

Pony

Rear Admiral

Looks great Pony, I've said it before! Gonna take me fishing now? :D

Sure, just let me know when it is going to rain next.....since the only time you and I fish together is in the rain.:)

Pony

Rear Admiral

For those of you who haven't seen the shareaproject, here is the jist of the rest of the floor which I put in two years ago. So far it has worked out perfectly. Its nice to be able to take them out for the winter so that they don't get damaged from moisture

4209.jpg

picture0110to.jpg

picture0106hn.jpg